Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My first year teaching I thought because I worked in the operating room for years that my knowledge alone would teach the class. I was wrong. My students wanted to know why not just how I worked on a daily dasis in the OR. I know make sure I explain why a procedure is performed a certain why and I back my statements up with our Standards of Practice.Thank was a rough year.

As an instructor I establish the ground rules on the first day of class. Students are informed about the stucture and expectations of the Mod early on. I establish my credability as a qualified, interested, approachable instuctor in a professional manner. During lectures I use Guided Notes so that students can concentrate on the pertinent material and are relieved of questioning what is important and relevant.

I also keep clear boundaries as an instuctor and establish myself as someone who is interested in the success of each of my students. I maintain consistency of stucture and clear guidelines.

As a new instructor I had a challenge with remembering students names, which is no longer the case as this is very meaningful to each individual to be viewed as a valued member of the classroom and someone I take an interest in.

I maintain a journal of challenges in the classroom, techniques I used previously that worked and did not work. Each group is different, therefore I customize my instructing according to my audience.

I think when you don't know and admit it, it makes the students feel more comfortable with admitting they don't know something. I tell my students that they will learn a lot of new information, and they will probably forget much of it until they actually use it. I take time to help them know where to look and how to look things up. Sometimes the example is when I don't know the answer to a question.

Hi Rosalyn,
You are an awesome instructor! I can tell you want to be the very best and produce quality graduates! Continue to be one of the best educators!

Patricia Scales

I think the first step is recognizing that they are mistakes. I don't know how many instructors that I have trained over the year that you tell them that they are not the students' friend and they still do it and then wonder why it blew up in their face. I think we need to learn from others mistakes so that we don't have to make them ourselves in order to learn the lesson.

Being my first teaching position, I have given myself permission to make mistakes. When I do, I try and correct the issue as soon as possible.
I get to class 45 minutes early so that I have time to go over any power points, worksheets or assignments for the day.

As a new instructor and sitting in on my road to take my first class its great to see how many of you are still trying to become better and showing me how to carry myself.

Good idea to prepare double lesson plans at first

I think one of the greatest things we can impart, other than necessary, relevant content about our field, is a sense of excitement about learning, learning as a life long process that we are also engaged in. Students know when an instructor is "stuck in a rut" or stagnant.

Yes, it is very good to make sure that you cover everything , thatyou will be putting on a test. Also an Instructor must present a test , if he said that he would be giving a test on a specific day. It is a mistake if you forget. You will lose students trust ...

I found out about a mistake I made in perception with a student last year towards the end of her schooling that she had been holding against me since the first day of school. I made a comment at the first day that students were never given A's in my classroom, they were only earned. I found out much later from the student that the reason she always had a problem with me is because she thought I had told the students that no one got an A in my class, which is incorrect because many students earn A's in my classes. I found that the damage had been done though and she still always felt that she could not meet my standards. I now just tell student that grades in my class are earned and not given to avoid any miscommunication.

Hi Rodney,
Happy to hear that you are big enough to learn from this misunderstanding. I can tell you really do want the best for your students.

Patricia Scales

I AM A NEW TRACHER AND I MAKE A LOT OF MISTAKES BUT Learning how to deal with them will help me makeless. The history of working in the field I am teaching has helped the student to become confident in themselfs knowing that what they are learning is still working for me in the salon today.

Hi Roxanne,
We all make mistakes. Learn from each mistake you make and move forward.

Patricia Scales

I agree with this. I too am a fairly new instructor and I know I have a lot of room for improvement. I am confident in my ability to teach but know there is always room for improvement.

Teaching the medical sciences can be challenging as things are constantly changing. I find it is really important to try and stay as current as possible with the new methods constantly coming out. But when a student asks a question I may not have the answer too, I want to make sure that I am honest and let them know that I really don't know. I give the class the opportunity at that time to research this question as I will. It's a great way to stimulate an extra credit or research project. In addition, it is now more knowledge for me to share with the next class!

I have been teaching quite a while, and moving from a university setting to a career oriented school, and clearly, I have to be called a snob. The phrase "this isn't day-care" rang a bell for me.

The issue for me is a recognition of the various ways of support I can offer these serious, committed students who could care less about the renaissance, but are deeply interested in success in their chosen fields. I can offer them (and will) a variety of supports--hand outs, audio/video links, professional websites and tutorials that are directly meaningful/applicable to their goals.

Mainly, it's a realization on my part that their goals are not mine, but are equally as valuable.

Thanks for that one "this isn't day-care" piece.

Ed

One way that can be done is to come to class prepared. If you are prepared then when you lecture things will flow smoothly and you will also be able to answer questions. Don't be afraid to say, I don't know the answer to that. I will find out for you.

Three things come to mind, preparation is a must, don't try to be a buddy, and get a mix of media to deliver a varied class experience. The knowledge, skills, and ability come from a wide range of activities, not just listening to a lecture everyday. So not being prepared is easy to avoid, staying friendly without being to close is a key to respect and having a mixed activity approach means maintaining interest throughout the course.

I found that observing other more experienced instructors in class before I taught on my own was very helpful and kept me on track.

Sign In to comment