Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One technique I find useful is to adopt a mentor for the courses or institution involved and enjoy the wealth of knowledge from someone who "knows the ropes". This helps to avoid common mistakes and enables an instructor to focus on the pertinent areas of the course than can make them effective educators.

I also beleive that sometimes it is effective to "resharpen our saws" and approach each course with the same enthusiasm as we projected in our first course(s). Anticipating what the student needs may be before they manifest helps us to better prepare and gain that level of trust that is paramount with students at the first session.

Be prepared. Some instructors are not knowledgeable about their content area - master your content. Give clear and concise course expectations, and enforce rules consistently.

Hi Melissa,
We live and learn. Once instructors feel the embarrassment and frustration from not being prepared, most of them will get their act together quickly.

Patricia Scales

what mistakes are we refering to?I did not actually understand the question,are we talking about the mistakes made in class by the instructor?something said that was not supposed to be by the teacher in class?or the actual teaching errors.please do let me know,as I am not sure how to answer this question.
I have a very long list,but need to catogorize.
thank you.

Hi Amina,
Any mistake you have made in your teaching career, not being prepared, an academic mistake, dealing with students, etc. The field is wide open here with what you can share.

Patricia Scales

As far as I remember,teaching for some 13 years,I really have come a long way, in the very begining,when dealing with disruptive or disrespectful student,I would take that very personally and get upset and leave the classroom, this showed the weak side of me to my class,which did not help at all,now,I know what makes the student tick,I keep my cool and do control myself,as I do this I am in control of my class.
If for any reason I have made an academic mistake,I am never embarrased to admit it,but always try to research on any new topic before I present to my class.saves time .

I have a binder for each course I teach, it cotains ppt lectures handouts, quizes tests even final exam with answer keys,if another instructor is teaching the same subject can easily utilize this binder and if needed add to the test bank as well as any new handouts.

Most new instructors worry about the "what ifs". Don't worry about the "what ifs", instead focus on avoiding common mistakes instructors make. Instructors should focus on creating a positive instructor image, presenting a professional image of competence, and managing their class. Avoid "being a friend"; students want to know an instructor is concerned, but do not want to be friends with the instructor.

Instructors need to accept that he/she will not always do the right thing well. As discussed in the Harvard Business School video, instructors need to go through the quadrant of "doing the right thing poorly" in order to learn and progess to "doing the right thing well."

"The only way to do the right thing well is to do it poorly first."

I love this quote. I try to be overly prepared. I have made the mistake of having not enough material and activities to fill a class. So I plan ahead. I also plan activities that can be worked on during the entire term. That way when those speedy students finish an exam or in class assignment they always have something to work on.

Hi Amina,
I too have binders for each course. They are my life line when teaching. My binders have everything I need in them, including written notes from each chapter. They are very thorough and have made my life a lot easier.

Patricia Scales

Hi Laura,
Well stated. We can not go through our teaching career focusing on the "what if's", I have a few instructors they like to go into the "what-if mode", and I let them know, we can what if forever. Let's deal with things as they arise.

Patricia Scales

One of mistake normally occurs with inexperienced teachers often fall into the trap of wanting their students to like them above all else. However, if you do this, you are damaging your ability to control the classroom, which in turn compromises the student's education. Instead, focus on earning your students' respect, admiration, and appreciation. Once you realize that your students will like you more when you are tough and fair with them, you'll be on the right track.

I think one big mistake in career colleges is discounting the adult learner. Adult learners have different expectations but in many ways they are similar to younger students. Different from younger students is that they can easily determine if you are not organized and don't want to be spoken or addressed as children. However, they will easily take advantage of an instructor who has less experience or try to bully or cajole them into less homework or easier assignments--similar to the high school aged students. Asking for help,analyzing your performance, and a willingness to learn new techniques always helps to improve your performance.

Hi Ellen,
I concur! Students are students, regardless of age. I have found very many of the same similiarities as well.

Patricia Scales

Being prepaired is a big key. i go over the lecture prior to class time. If I have demos to do I make sure all possiable problems are worked out of the demo first prior to class. I also have a backup plan or demo to fall back up on if things go wrong. One time the power went out in the building , without missing a beat I opened the curtians got out my notes a proceded without the powerpoint. It went rell well untill I had to draw something on the board as I was not hired for my art skills. The students and I laughed about it.

Hi Robert,
Preparation is a must! I can tell you are prepared and are very organized. It appears you have great flexibility skills as well. I am sure you are a very effective instructor.

Patricia Scales

doing good research on the material taught, watching other instructors teach, utilize writing mistakes so i don't repeat them, basically have confidence, be professional at all times , have a good student-instructor relationship that does not cross boundaries.

I agree with this completely. There is nothing wrong with wanting your students to like you, but not at the expense of their respect. It is very important to maintain your authority in the classroom, and if they start to see you as a peer, then you have thrown that authority away.

No one is perfect and the best critiques of your instructional performance is those that you instruct. Having your students help you to become a better teacher is a great tool that im sure i can utilize in the future. I look forward to trying new ways to both figure out what works and what does'nt work.

Being prepared is the most important part. I try to prepare 2 days worth of info, in case the class moves faster than anticipated. I also make notes (both anecdotal and educational) to give the lesson real world scope.

Sign In to comment