Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I read through the replies to this subject and agree with "being well prepared".

I remember when I first started teaching how I would go over the material many times in order to be ready to teach the topic.

I have binders now that I keep the powerpoints, lecture notes and suggested activities that go along with each subject matter.

First of all, It is important to put the students first. Don't worry about yourself, and concentrate on what the students need and how you are going to present the material.

Next, I think it is best to be prepared for class. Take the time to makes sure All the materials are ready and present a well organized class. That will show the students that you are confident in your teaching abilities.

Finally, having a set of classroom rules and sticking too them will put both the students as ease and well as the instructor. It will also help build a positive image for the instructor.

Hi Rebecca,
Binders are excellent to help with preparation for a course and with organization.

Patricia Scales

Hi Mark,
You are on point! I like your outlook! I can tell you give your students your all and all. Continue to be an effective instructor by doing what you are doing.

Patricia Scales

Research your topic. Complete the assignments you assign so that you will be ready for any questions students may have. Find multiples ways to present a topic. When you teaching different sections of the same course, often times what you did in one class does not work in another. Finding out how students learn helps as well.

Preparation is the key. If a instructor is not prepared, student recognize it right away. As instructor you may lose respect from your students if you appear unorganized. Being prepared, practicing and being organized are all key.

Teaching is not an easy profession. Like other lines of work there is a strong "learning by doing" component. That is, I have learned from my mistakes and do my best not to repeat them.

While there are so many mistakes that can be made, here are a couple of things that I've found to be useful.

I agree with everyone who says that preparation is key. I have to have prepared my lessons and reviewed them thoroughly before I present in class.

I come to class before the official start of class and start on time. That signals to the class that I take the learning environment seriously.

I have a clear late policy and stick to it. If I suspect a paper is not a students work, I follow up and so on.

Hello Ali,

You're quite right. It's better to be respected than liked. Of course we want our students to like us, and so on. However, teaching is our job. Its more important to present the material accurately, to set clear standards and to be consistent.

Richard,

It's interesting that you bring this up. I also have multiple backups to avoid missing my assignments.

Being prepared is first. I have walked into class having not read the chapters my students were expected to have read, but they never knew that. On days like that, I switched it up and had a good class discussion based on the topic we were supposed to read about. It is a good way to get thoughts flowing, see other's frame of reference and begin opening ourselves to new learning techniques.

It is also a good time to do some basic review of things covered in previous class or give students some class time to work on a project due in the near future.

I never lie to my students, I only make the best of a situation. If I am not prepared or I have made a mistake, I just fess up and fix it.

In a clinical setting we have 3 different grade levels and knowing what are expected from each grade level can be a challenge. They all have master grade sheets that help keep them focused and direct us towards their goals. I usually ask them to take them out and look at where they could focus in today's clinic.

Hi Sandra,
A visual is always good for students. Students tend to receive the information better when they can see it.

Patricia Scales

As a new instructor in the higher learning field I feel organization is a key component to having a flexible learning environment. So many times we as instructors for get to be flexible and remember that life happens when we least expectit. Another mistake we make is not taking advantage of teachable moments. So many times we as instructors get so caught up in our plans and the syllabus we tell our students we will come back to their question and we never do. I allow myself 2-3 minutes to indulge in the teachable moment before guiding the class back to the day’s lesson.

This has become my habit as well. A method of organization which is pricelss and allows for a quick resource should another instructor call in sick or substitution is required.

Wonderful comments that are right on point!!!!! Watching other instructional methodologies allows for incorporation into personal delivery with the realization that there might be another method to increase effectiveness. Being professional at all times allows for consistency in interaction and brings about anticipation of responses.

I find writing my self a note about what did not go well in a lecture and then flagging that so I think about it before the next term when I give the class again, is humbling and helpful. I have found myself changing around the order of content and been happy to find the information seems to be more easily assimilated. I find myself cutting out information that did not lead the student to do their job better.

Prep time is essential even though I have given a lecture before. I teach on a variety of topics. I get to work early when it is quiet to go over complex lectures.

Definetly -
schedule flexibility is essential to classroom management, with the ability to being able to "think on your feet" being foundational, such as having ten minutes remaining prior to class dismissal and having completed the lecture material, devising a patient scenario and discussing treatment protocols.

Common mistakes such as making students your friends instead of creating a positive respectful environment can be avoided by focusing more on the objectives of the course than the personal lives of yourself and your students.

I've also had to improvise lectures after projectors cut out on me. I always have a paper printout of my slides so that I can quickly refer students to the relevant figures in their textbook as I switch to a "chalk talk". That way they aren't just relying on my terrible artistic skills.

Sign In to comment