Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Peggy,
I can tell you take your position seriously! Continue to be one of the best in your profession! Preparation is key to your success and the students' success.

Patricia Scales

I think the best way to avoid making common instructor mistakes is to remain conscientious. Being aware of deadlines, priorities, and staying organized can reduce errors and provide a professional, respectable image for students. An instructor must remember that the students are not their "friends". They are in a position of authority and need to maintain control of the classroom. Setting standards and providing expectation in the very first meeting with students is essential in gaining control and reducing mistakes.

Hi Julie,
All students need structure, even at the collegian level, and structure comes through classroom management. The instructor must control the class in every way.

Patricia Scales

knowing that I am not the only one that had or has jitters about teaching classes, is noteable because i am not alone, but it doesnt help ME that much. I am a worry wart...lol. I tend to talk fast when i know the subject yet nervous. Yes, i am getting better but still with possible new students each week I stress that i can continue to get my point across and not loosing them.

Great comment! Experienced instructors can get 'stale', if they do not keep up-to-date with the new developments in their field, so a rigid routine might make you look like a comedian telling old jokes.

I think this poem is fantastic. As a new instructor I am always concerned about whether I will even know what I am walking in to. But, I have the attitude that I Will do my best, and if it is not good enough, I will learn from my mistakes, re-evaluate, and go back better than ever.

It is very important to keep a professional distance. Students are there to get instructions and teacheres are there to provide instructions. It is more important to gain respect from students than likings. If teachers are fair, consistent and dedicated, they will automatically earn respect. Teachers should also not discuss their personal problems in the classroom.

No matter how many times you have presented information there is always a way to improve. I loved the bit about evaluating at the end of each day what went well and what did not. I think at the end of an exam is also a good place to evaluate what sections of an exam the students seemed prepared for and what sections could be improved.

Hi Terrie,
I agree! I do not care how effective of an instructor you are, there is always room for improvement. Continue to work on pefecting the art of teaching. I have been teaching for more than 25 years, and I am still trying to become better. There is always room for growth.

Patricia Scales

As an IT instructor I usually have the luxury of a computer, a projector and a class server. These are great tools. They allow you to post notes and demos, demonstrate concepts visually and show solutions to questions in real time.

1.) Make a checklist of topics you need to cover before class.
2.) Leave time for questions, discussion and demonstrations.
3.) Demonstrate as many of the days concepts as possible in real world scenarios.
4.) Bring up real world problems you have had to solve in your experience and have your students come up with solutions. This can be very engaging.
5.) Don't get stuck in a rut. A large part of my job is keeping current with new technologies and I stress the importance to my students. This keeps me from getting moldy too.
6.) Try to find out your students knowledge and experience level with the subject matter. Remember your students haven't been there and done that for the last 20+ years. The glazed eyes and dumbfounded looks tell you if you are to far over their head and need to slow down a bit and expound on the topic more.
7.) Constantly reflect on how things went. What could I have done better?

I agree that seasoned instructors have a tendency to follow the same routine. I have also fallen guilty of this mistake. However, I have found that meeting each student individually prior to class helps set the mood. In fact, each student, class, and course is different. Therefore, this alone requires each “class” to be unique and/or different than the class before.

As a new instructor I think the best thing to do is leave your nerves at the door. Go into the classroom being confident in your abilities and knowledge and relay that in your teaching. I think it's a mental game with yourself that you need to overcome.

As a 9 month newbie, my mistake as a new instructor was going through the material too rapidly. I would have 30 minutes left in our 110 minute class. I asked for help from the seasoned instructors. I got very good advice. My point being if you are new to teaching, please ask for help.

David,

This is great! I am new IT instructor and this list covers a lot of what's making me a little nervous. I have experience in the "user education" side of things but I've been told that teaching users at their desks or in organized training events is a lot different that a classroom environment.

Thanks
Chris

Hi Christopher,
Use your knowledge in the "user education" to teach. You have a great advantage! You come with practical experience. You can lecture from experience.

Patricia Scales

Plan ahead. Prepare for each class time wise well in advance and over prepare.

I agree with your statement and as I continue to learn at various seminars and courses I am continually looking for behaviors and teaching methods that "wow" me and I work on integrating them into my basket of techniques that increase my ability to teach better.

I don't dwell on my inexperience as an instructor but I do like to make especially beginning students know that I have extensive background and also want to learn from them and about them too! I try to be humble but also show my confidence and enthusiasm for the industry of instruction.

It's reality that mistakes will happen, but I believe that some mistakes can be avoided by simply being organized, over-prepared, and flexible. There will always be room for improvement no matter how experienced I am. I am open to change and constructive criticism is always welcome. I am happy to admit when I make a mistake teaching, I try to find some humor in the situation, learn from the mistake and move forward instead of dwelling on it.

It is important to be prepared, organized and dressed professionally. Make to sure assess your initial class to see each students' strengths and needs that way you can develop teaching methods more effectively.

Sign In to comment