Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stay prepared and attentive, if you are on the job and prepared you can eliminate a lot of mistakes

This is an excellent point. I have taught Vo-Tech for 10 years on a part-time basis, but after being away from the classroom for 12 years I am returning as a full-time instructor in the same field. My fieled of Computer Technology has changed considerably, and although I have kept up with it all of these years, I am finding my students are a lot more knowledgeable and savvy than they were 12 years ago (and especially 22 years ago when I first started teaching). Advanced preparation is absolutely key in structuring classroom time. Some of these students have a shorter attention span and a huge expectation of being entertained beyond those students of an earlier time.

I like to ask my students for feedback. If there is anything I can improve upon from the student's point of view it is worthwhile. I like to employ methods and then ask the students their thoughts on the method used and if it can be improved. I feel the students perspective is key to reaching them and therefore displays that you are genuine in your efforts to make sure that everyone is learning.

I think that it also sets a good example to students when you show that it's not only okay, but in fact it's important to admit to not knowing the answer. However this should be followed with a committment to finding out what the correct answer is, and then acting on that.

We try to instill this in our students as they go out into their clinical education rotations - their clinical instructors do not expect the students to know all the answers, though we hope they are able to demonstrate a good deal of knowledge. The student must be able to admit to not knowing, but promise to find out, and then be able to demonstrate that he/she did find out. I believe that if we do this ourselves as instructors, we are teaching the students how to deal with situations when they don't know an answer.

It is absolutely true that students can tell when we don't know. Trying to pull an answer out of thin air demonstrates a lack of respect for the person we're informing, and decreases that person's respect for us. How can they trust anything we tell them, if they catch us out once making it up??

Hi Sally,
Awesome response! You are right on point! Admit to not knowing, find out, and then share. This approach will get you more respect than anything. No one knows it all.

Patricia Scales

One lesson I learned was from one of my guest speakers. He spoke about tracking how long tasks take you. This helped me to ensure I was always prepared for class. I work in the field Full-time, and teach college at night Part-time. Out of fairness to both positions and the students, I know and block out the necessary time it takes to prepare a summary game, create a chapter overview, create an exam, prepare my power point, etc. This has been very helpful, and I also share with students. They should know how long it takes to read a chapter, how long to complete the chapter puzzles or overviews, or complete the chapter homework6 assignments.

Smile, stay calm, be confident. If you get stuck as a newbie, involve students by inviting their suggestions and solutions; this will at least help them feel valued and build rapport.

I am truly enjoying the responses on this topic because it means that others are always trying to strive for something better. Its very comforting and assuring!! This is great!

I have noticed that this class has really help me. As I was going though this I had to start a new class and it has been so much easier for me. It has made it easy for me not to make mistakes...Thank you.

I think being over-prepared and well organized is your best bet to reduce common errors.

Hi Harry,
Great! Glad to know the effectiveness of the class. Keep striving to be the best educator possible.

Patricia Scales

Hi Terri,
Preparation is key! Students can tell when you are not prepared, and they do not like it! Being unprepared is a quick way to ruin your reputation.

Patricia Scales

The most common way you can avoid instructor mistakes is by not imitating anyone else. Every instructor has their own teaching styles, find your own and not someone else's. Another way to avoid mistakes is by prepairing prior to entering the classroom. Never become too overly confident in your subject matter that you don't prepare. Lastly, continuing education, continue educating yourself because healthcare is always changing.

Paying attention to class surveys and comments can provide some insight as well as asking students along the way - how was the pace today. Is this explanation clear? Also observer feedback can be important for self assessment.

I have just begun teaching within the past year. I feel I have made several of these common mistakes. however each new class I get I feel I teach stronger and am learning from each situation I am in. I have been undeterred by my mistakes and have used them as a learning tool. Each new class of students I teach presents an entirely new series of problems and potential mistakes. It has definitely been a daily learning experience

Hi Stacy,
You are right, these are great tools to help you improve as an instructor. I have even heard of some instructors asking particular questions at the end of the course to gain self improvement.

Patricia Scales

I am relieved to see how many experienced instructors worry about the same things as I do. I am on my first class and it is nice to know that instructors like yourself still are trying to improve. That instructing is very similar to my work as a nurse. If you think you know it all it maybe time to find something new to do. These are fields that you can never know it all.

I agree, letting my students know I am human from the get go kind of makes me approachable.

This in turn teaches the students that learning and self evaluation are constants and should be welcomed.

Being well prepared, and taking time to review our lectures, notes, slides, etc, keeps everyone
more interested.

With being a new instructor, I am "team teaching" 3 courses. This is a great experience and opportunity. Because I may be teaching these courses at some point in the future, I am making notes after each class as to how much extra or too little time was left. This will help me to develop a lesson plan in the future. I also make suggestions as to what other resources I could have used and things that were discussed that were not on the syllabus. Over planning is so important. I am also able to observe 3 totally different teaching styles while observing students classroom behavior and appreciation for which style they seem to prefer. I will definitely be incorporating some points from each of the instructors I have observed.
Thanks, Diane

Never believe what worked before is going to work again is key to keeping things fresh in your classroom; not only for you but for your students. I am always looking to new ideas and new material to use. Each Mod I have differs from the last so what worked for the previous Mods may not totally work for the current.

Keep an open mind.

Sign In to comment