Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One way of avoiding common instructor mistakes is to always be prepared for class. If you are a new instructor you must have a solid lesson plan that will keep you on track.

What a great quote to remember!
While I have lesson plans and notes on how my classes went, I'm constantly updating my presentations and finding new things to make them better.

Someone once told me that a teacher's notes should never be yellowed with age, but on fresh, new paper to show that it's constantly being improved upon.

One good method is to create a list of those commonly made instructor mistakes. Instructors can review those lists periodically, and make notes under each mistake. If they have a made a mistake, they can include what they can do differently.

One mistake I see instructors make is staying in class during breaks. This is a much needed time for both instructors and students to regroup. Two things can happen if the instructor remains in the class. They may inadvertently continue with the lesson while some of the students are not present by answer questions that students may have. The questions posed and answers given my be helpful for those who are not in the class at that time. Also it may become a prying session or the instructor may get involved in conversations that they should not. The invisible line can be crossed. If break time is to be used as a tutoring session, or Q&A then this should be stated to the entire class so all can participate if they wish to.
Break time give both the instructor and student time to refresh them selves and get re-focused for the next session of class.

When I was a new instructor some of the mistakes I made were being to friendly with the students. I had to learn that when it backfired on me, just to learn that it has happened to other instructors in the past.

I feel teaching is actually the ultimate learning forum

Knowing you course and spending the time in prep and taking notes every time you teach the course will help you avoid mistakes. But then they do happen, laugh about it and apologize and move on.

Reply to Kay Newton's post:these are very good insights thank you

ezcardinfo

Sign In to comment