Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding Multiple Intelligences | Origin: ED108

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Learning Theory and Practice --> Understanding Multiple Intelligences

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Understanding the multiple intelligences idea i think is a great way to evaluate your delivery of the information in the classroom to students.

When students are taught with approaches and resources that complement their unique learnig preferences, their achievement is significantly increased.

Education and intelligence are not synnonymous. We have watched smart people doing dumb things. You need to have many skils with some being god given. Singers, dancers, firemen need diferetn types of skills. Many are from trining. Some are from natural talent or inner strengths like bravery. The smart man walks away from a fire. The brave one jumps in. The smart and brave trained ones save lives. It takes more than books, test and quizzes. But it does take education to refine talents and skills. 

I learned a great deal while  reading about learning preferences and multiple intelligences I found myself and clearly recognized how important it is for students to be evaluated and that information shared with the instructor in an effort to support the various learning preference. I plan to recommend this as a practice at my place of employment.

I found it interesting how rhythmic and tonal patterns learning pathways can attribute to this intelligence. When I have my students study for DANB exam I sometimes sing and its amazing how they remember the facts.

Multiple intelligences and learning preferences.

Understanding the different learning preferences of the students is crucial in planning a course, observing how the student interacts with classmates will help when planning a course

After reading this module, I learned that instruction or teaching methods used for instructions should be based on understanding multiple intelligences. I learned to identify and differentiate the different kinds of multiple intelligences and their significance in developing the appropriate teaching methods for students. Gone are the days when students are placed in embarrassing situations when performing poorly. As described in pruning, undesirable events in life are set aside from the students’ memory. Shaming students will only slow down learning and retention of information. As an educator, I intend to use what I learned from this module in gauging each student or group of students and formulate my teaching strategies based on their identified type of intelligence.

Very interesting to learn about the multiple intelligences, shaming of students and the importance of differentiating instruction for each learnng style.

Learning the different ways students learn will help me as an instructor be able to deliver the content in a way students can understand and process. 

The most important takeway is from this module is that when we design lesson plans we need to consider the multiple intellignces and a student's preferred style of learning new information. It was good to review Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences and the different types of intellegence. I will definitely bring more music, rythm, group activities, and movement into my classroom! 

To be aware and present of how students learn in different ways is essential.

I think it is important as an educator to become practiced at using your observation skills in combination with your knowledge of the various types of learning preferences and intelligences, to provide a variety of instructional strategies in order to more effectively reach and teach your students.  I think the first, most important step is to discover and better understand your own preferences/intelligences, if you haven't already, in order to have a better appreciation for how being able to effectively use strategies attuned to your strengths, benefits your ability to learn.

Knowing about learning preferences may help you to understand and explain the differences you observe among your students.

Sometimes I forget that there are so many ways to learn and I need to remember to get out of the rutt of what I normally do.

Knowledge of multiple intelligences and learning styles is essential for effective instructors to shape their learning plans to meet the innate traits of their students. 

Life is complicated, as is learning. Instructors need to use all of the resources available to them to maximize the learning that is going on in their classrooms and labs. By having an understanding of the multiple intelligences of your students you can create channels of delivery that will assist your students in their learning efforts.

A talented teacher will know his/her students, their preferred learning styles, their intelligence styles, and how to connect with them. We've all been subject to teaching that was uninspiring, boring, and out of touch. Perhaps this is because it was delivered by an instructor who was not aware of either his learning style, which informed his teaching style, or his intelligence style, much less those of the students he taught. 

Having knowledge of the different learning preferences will help me understand and shape my learning plans for the students.

Sign In to comment