Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comment on Ben Johnson's post

Totally agree, Ben.  I am wondering how difficult it will be to differentiate the needs of the students individually.  Does this attempt make it more difficult for the instructor to address the needs?

Its very important to be able to correlate theory into practice. When in the lab it's necessary to make the connection to what is done in practice. Oftentimes we don't always have the same equipment that is used in practice so as the instructor it's vital to make the experience in the lab as realistic as possible.

I like the part about industry settings the standard not the instructor. We are always reaching out to industry asking what is needed and what is changing to better prepare our students when they graduate.

I believe competency training certainly has a place in the training of all people who's jobs require detailed and precise performance, like nursing.  The use of Bloom's taxonomy is what helps instructors ensure they are providing the best possibility training at the level required for our students to form beginning level competencies in their future profession.

Competency based instruction using Bloom's taxonomy clarifies things for the student, no matter what age or grade level

Blooms taxonomy helps students connect classroom learning into real world outcomes.

I learned that competency based training is actually a logical tool that can be used in the classroom.

Bloom is important for developing clinical and lab assignments

when teaching especially in lab situations it is important to make lesson relevant to the student's career field. Using Bloom's Taxonomy is important.

I've learned that there is three domains to human development. Cognitive, affective, and psychomotor. and that the cognitive deal with recall, recognition of the knowledge and development of intellectual skills.

being a coach this is very easy to see in real time, it also is proven all domaines need to be applied.

Bloom's taxonomy can be used in teaching by presenting the goals for the assignment, student accomplishing assignment , and finished grade.  Hopefully along the journey the student with interaction from teacher and fellow students was able to see a reason for their project. How it can help them in the future, and how they have progressed in thinking.

Using Bloom's Taxonomy will help you become an effective Instructor 

Being in a tech school, we have implemented competency-based learning. stand and deliver is just 1 part

I find great value in providing students with competency based learning opportunities.  However, I do see where opponents are coming from when they say that clear objectives must be established in all three domains in order for the experience to become legitimate and subjective, demonstrating that students think critically and apply the theoretical practices into real world applications.  

I believe that CTE education hit all three of Blooms areas much more readily than most academic core areas due to the fact that the pyscomotor and affective are engaged much more often than in most academic classes,

Comment on Omar Muneeb's post: Amen brother!!!!

Comment on Will Jones's post: Very well stated!!

Use all of the taxonomy to ensure a complete process.

The shop/lab environment allows students to have a hand-on approach to learning. This allows students to experiment, model, test, fail and/or succeed, and move on with their learning at their own pace. It is probably the best type of learning because it is naturally more self-paced. The levels of Bloom's Taxonomy can mirror the levels that students are progressing through with their learning. 

Sign In to comment