Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Never get stuck in a teaching paradyne.  utilize every tool in your posession to make your class as exciting as possible.

"New and Shiny"  concepts really are recreations of former concepts, with a small twist. I do like the idea of variances in how to deliver content. Students must OWN their education, not just expect to be "spoon-fed" information. This method has great appeal to creating more student engagement, which I will definitely support.

Unfortunately we are severily affected by technology restrictions at our facility. Inmate network must be very tight in order to limit any possible security breaches. I cannot even show youtube videos due to the restrictions, so although there are some very good ideas in these lessons, I struggle to find work around solutions.

Flipping the classroom is a more modern, hands-on approach to learning.  Students often learn better through practice.  It is absolutely possible to remain the instructor but also let the students learn through conversation, peer-to-peer collaboration, and technology at their own pace.

The importance of facilitating.

professional development...

start small and do step by step process when implementing 

I believe this style of teaching is a better fit for the younger students we see in our schools today. By utilizing technology and reorganizing the order of the learning it is likely to get more engagement from students. I think this will be helpful for some of the students who struggle the most with the more conventional forms of teaching. Using technology in this way increases the chances that students will be dialed into the content.  

I look forward to producing video lectures for my students.

I learned that lectures should not be more than 15 minutes. I have some lectures that are longer and I need to revise them to be more concise. I have implemented this this week and I feel as though the students were more responsive and retained the information better, and I had more engagement in the class!

I like this idea of the flipped classroom but with what I teach I fear there is no way of making lecture videos that are only 15 minutes long. And then meet up in f2f class and work together on an assignment. I also fear that my students will not watch the lectures and then come to class with no idea of what's going on and then I spend more time catching them up.

The flipped classroom is not a fix all for excellence in Education. It is a tool for improvement in its evolution.

I appreciated how the module emphasized outcomes focus and needs analysis to inform guided change and continuous improvement. I noticed that the students were included as stakeholders in the feedback to guide change. While I believe this is important and already incorporate elements of student surveys to inform change, I I also have some remaining curiosities:

1. Is there a correlation between innate learning styles and appreciation of flipped classroom methods?

2. How accurately does a class' input from one year reflect the needs and learning preferences of the following year's cohort? 

I have learned that I will be able to incorporate a flipped classroom method. I am excited to implement this into my classroom.

The statement "the shift from “covering content” to the “mastery of content,”" sounds amazing, however, prerecorded lecture portion sounds easy to me, when it comes to how to design proper classroom activities so student can progress through Bloom's taxonomy, this is where I see the challenge.

There are many factors to consider when trying to implement a flipped classroom. It is imperative to get your PD and administrators involved in the process. The flipped classroom approach transforms student learning and the way we teach. The focus is on content mastery.

What resonated most with me was the fact that the teacher must be transformed prior to embarking on flipping the classroom.  There are many components to consider.  I plan on implementing this in a small way at first; as both students and I need some practice using this new way of learning.  I definitely agree that advancements in technology can facilitate flipping the classroom.  One concern I have is making sure that students do take responsibility for their part in the educational process and actually put the time in prior to class.  Many of my current students struggle with balancing work, home and school.  Getting them to pencil out "additional" study time has always been a challenge.   I look forward to learning more about the tools available to transgress barriers.

The section regarding content recovery was very interesting to me. I plan to use the key questions suggested, such as "How can I utilize the pre-recorded lectures to cover or supplement the content," and "How can I get students to produce products that provide content to others or demonstrate they comprehend the content?" to ensure that I'm meeting my learning objectives in a flipped classroom.

I believe that the flipped classroom model is very unique, practical and efficient way of active learning. A model that keeps student engaged in the learning process. We may have all experienced being in a lecture 30 minutes long and depending on the speaker's ability to keep the audience attention, either drift off or start to readjust ones' seat posture. The flipped classroom model, avoids this and learning is active and continuous, leaving no room for boredom. 

Sign In to comment