Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Not a fan of flipped classroom. 

With the current geration of students I feelo like thed flipped classroom would fit right in.  The students can review the material as many times as they like.  The students will have to become more disciplined as far as thier study habits as they will have to make the time to study and learn the material.  The flipped classroom may also expose them to time management when they are learning the material.

Student learn more by engaging in the learning process as they are responsible for the task.

Larning is a two way road

some students feel that they pay the teacher to teac them

I have been flipping my classroom for a while now. I am currently in the process of recording all lectures and having all of my own slides for students to pre-view so that I can incorporate more activities of reinforcing what they had learned from their preassigned homework "reviewing the pre-recorded lectures and reviewing the slides prior to class".

I learned that a key component of "Flipping the Classroom" is to "Repurpose" in-class time into an experimental, inquiry-based learning environment.

The flipped classroom; a different teaching method that is more student centered and relies more on the students doing the work with guidance from the instructor than the instructor just talking at the student. Requires more student engagement to be most effective.

I was glad to see that the student's perception of the flipped class was addressed.  Many times they want to be passive learners and not be actively engaged. Not to mention they do resist change.

I recently used the flipped classroom for my class.  I was hesitant at first to flipped the classroom because I am a traditional learner.  But because I have a multigenerational students, most of them benefits from this new learning enviroment.  I noticed that the students have higher class engagement especially during their disussion. And I agree, I am less pressured on time and on energy as a teacher, and it is student-centered learning. 

•  

• Flipped classroom (FC) is a type of blended asynchronous learning
    • FC is the reverse of traditional lecture-centered teaching. Content or lecture is delivered digitally first and then homework or discussion and hands-on application is done in the classroom face-to-face (F2F), student-centered vs teacher-centered learning, hence "flipped"
    • It is a proven effective pedagogical strategy developed over time
    • Pre-recorded lecture content may be from other sources other than teacher (i.e other learning platforms such as Khan Academy, TED, etc) delivered online through various learning management systems (LMS)
    • Must educate and introduce this methodology or style of teaching first to get all "stakeholders buy-in"
    • FC could initially meet with resistance due to false perceptions of teachers not doing "their job" which is false
    • It takes preparation and learning is enhanced because the student must take ownership of his/her learning process
    • Teacher changes roles as facilitator or "coach on the side" versus lecturer

Flipping the classroom sounds like a great idea, will teach the students to take on more responsibility for themselves but will take time to get everyone involved use to the technique. 

Teaching the restaurant class can be challenging in the sense that the lab class is actually running the restaurant. This is physically and mentally challenging for student who have never worked in that environment. With that said, having a well thought out plan, homework or projects can be tied to the daily work and using technology can be very engaging. I am hoping to find additional material through these modules that will help me achieve the learning objectives. How cool would that be to find a virtual reataurant that has thought provoking challenges for a restaurant scenario.

Flipping the classrom is a great idea. Students who are not familiar or comfortable with this approach may push back. 

Flipping the classroom has a student a teacher utilizing the F2F time to do more practical and problem solving lessons

How will I apply it? Use the current in class practice questions, template and project construction as entry into the F2F class

Flipping the classroom is a great way to keep students involved during the instructional period. Instead of leacure, the class turns into a discussion.  Much more effective for adult learning.

Was a public elementary school teacher for 17 yrs before changing careers, becoming a Physical Therapist Assistant. Circled back to teaching on this level after 14 yrs in the PT field. I say that to acknowledge variances of Flipped Classroom have been presented before, utilizing technology, and have been successful. To slide into Flipped classroom concept, recoreded lectures can happen during class, and be used as remediation or review. Other sites with relevant video can pre-set the skill before application returns in labs or classroom. The biggest issue is to not fully expect all students to handle this set-up. You should be prepared to reinforce with tutorials, etc, to those relunctant to take ownership, but continue to reiterate that they must be responsible for viewing content before coming to class. They will either rise quickly to the occasion, or fall very behind.  Use the classroom time for hands-on learning, group discussions, small project presentation, cooperative learning. 

This concept works perfectly with our current hybrid classroom model. We have implemented many of the ideas and will continue refining this system.

I am a Vocational Instructor for adult men. I have clerks or office assistants that I can utilize to facilitate lessons. I like the idea of allowing the students to present the lessons to their peers under my supervision. I believe this will certainly prompt more participation for sure.

Sign In to comment