Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Although some may be resistant to a new way of learning, it is important to encourage adapatbility. With proper communication, support, and evidence of positive results from flipping the classroom, students will see the benefit and will become more effective and efficient learners. It will take a joint effort from both instructors and students. 

Some of the core elements of a flipped classroom include increased interaction, increased personalized contact time, a combination of direct instruction and hands-on learning, archived lectures, and facilitated learning

I love this idea. When I was in education years ago at a for-profit school, flipped classroom meant something completely different. I like that the lectures are pre-recorded. I'll bet that that will also keep them brief, only imparting the most important information. There is something to say about this method and the "guide on the side" approach. 

A flipped classroom is a blended learning strategy where students research the materials usng online resources, and then do the "homework" in class, through dicussion and activities. The flipped classroom increases student interaction and allows the instructor to become more of the guide on the side to facilitate active learning. The flipped classroom is typically more engaging for students, but you should engage with all stakeholders and seasoned flipped classrrom instructors prior to implementation, checking also on the success and other metrics for existing flipped classes.

I think this is an interesting idea, especially now, post-pandemic when so much work is being done online. Digital resources like pear deck will make this effort easier. I do see getting the student to "buy in" as a challenge. This will definitely take trial and error to get started, but once it's running I can major benefits. 

I really like the idea of letting students take ownership of their learning. A big part of being a professional in any field is learning and keeping your skills up-to-date with the majority of said learning taking place on your own time. I think the flipped classroom is a great way to acclimate students to learning outside, then applying their knowledge on the job.

Teachers wanting to integrate a flipped classroom do not need to record all their lectures. Using expert material already created on sites like TED or Khan Academy are acceptable.

Nice concept.  Thank you

I have learned that the way it is presented to the student and staff is integral in how it is received. Presenting it to a group of "stakeholders" who may alreaady be trepidatious about this change as something negative or difficult will result in a classroom of the same attitude. The way it was presented here, as exciting, and well researched will inevitably create exitement among the educators, and therefore the students. 

I think Flipped Classroom is really a great idea. We are already doing something very similar, except , we are not using yet pre-recorded material. I'm teaching in Zoom the theory, and we are coming to school, my students can concentrate only on hands on assignments. I love the idea that they can have their own "learning time" so they can become more responsible about managing their own time, that's a good point, I like the idea that the educator will be a "guide on the side"  instead of being in the center, this is important, because they have to step out of their own comfortzone and learn how  to present stuff, they even pay more attention on each other when they are presenting something. Online learning becoming today the main teaching/learning experiance , so they can access content whenever they have time.

I've learned that flipped classroom in a new way of teaching. Having have taught 10yrs now i seem to like the idea of removing down time in the class room by allowing the stuentds to study the assingments ahead of time in thier anytime hours. This give the facilitator more hands time and activities. 

I understand the concepts from taking previous online college courses in the past. While I loved it, it was much more of a challenge than going to in person classes.  I do have to admit i am a bit challenged yet willing to have an open mind that vocational students have the discipline, mindset and responsibility to take charge of their learning. Both college students and vocational students are different types of learners.

This is a phenomenal concept given the move towards online education.  It puts the responsibility if learning into the hands of students.  That type of accountability is very different from traditional teaching - in that teachers were the primary source of information, and students could blame teachers for a lack of education.   It had been proven time and again, that the traditional forms of learning is not always nest for all students.   By adding the accountability to students, they will work towards their own goals, and open the classroom itself for hand on and project based learning.  Spot on.

It is important to involve the stakeholders (the students) and have them understand the benefits to them as students.  A bit different than the ordinary type classroom, this flipped classroom becomes more student focused and can enhance their learning experience while putting more focus on them taking charge of their education.  I intend to get them fully on board and have them become interactive through all resources so that they can solidify the things they are learning.

I feel it gives the instructor options and holds the students more accountable.

if your positive about it they will be too

The flipped classroom format allows more hands on time and engagement to dive deeper with each subject during the actual instruction time with the teacher. The students do all of there reading of chapters online which In my opinio allows for more time to teach refined techiques and how to apply their new skills more efficiently. I have taught for over 27 years and often felt just going over reading the book when they can do that on their own and therefore I can translate it in a practical way they can assimilate better. yay

As you explain the concept to perhaps the most important stakeholder, the students, you begin to train your students to accept the new environment. They learn how to use the pre-recorded lectures effectively to learn on their own. You may even want to watch the first pre-recorded lecture in class with your students to coach the students to eliminate distractions and use the pause and rewind button as needed. 

I understand and appreciate the fundamentals of Flipping the Classroom, especially the part about how it empowers and gives students a greater responsibility for their learning. With a "guide by your side" philosophy, the guide serves as a mentor, confidant, and secondary resource to supplement the student's learning, based on the flipped perspective of instructional delivery. 

Hello, I havebeen recording and posting lectures long before I found out about flippinag a class room. The students today are very diverse in culture and age. My lecture needs back-up sormetime. Everyone does not learn the same. 

Sign In to comment