Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I gotta give this a try. It would seem to be effective at keeping the students engaged in the classroom. 

The value of the flipped classroom in better student engagement and higher student retention.

A flipped classroom is another adaptation to evolving technology outside of the classroom and improves engagement in the classroom

The flipped classroom model is as type of blended learning that prioritizes engagement and learning in the classroom.  The students complete much of the classroom material at home and bring the "homework" to the classroom.  I like this concept because it gives the students opportunities to be active in their learning amongst their peers and their educator and allows for open-discussion as well as in-person practicing of the information.

The new teaching strategy must be explained to students first. Students should understand the benefits of a flipped class for it to work.

I learned what the true definition and concept of theh term: "flipped classroom".  I've always been interested in other ways of learning to better reach the student or stakeholder.  As a student, I had always hoped there was a more interesting way of learning content. The flipped classroom sounds like something I would be willing to try as an educator because it simply involves the stakeholders and increases student engagement.  Traditional teaching or pedagogy must evolve with technology.

Even though the Flipped classroom is a great tool and can help many students achieve their educational goals, the one thing that I have found, as I have even taught Flipped classrooms to other instructors, is the flipped classroom isn't always the best way for every student. An instructor needs to have the flexibility to pivot to accommodate the learning styles of a class. One class may do great with the flipped classroom, and yet the next class that comes through that class needs to be more in person, or hands on with the subject.  

Flipped classrooms engage the students without them feeling intimidated.

Learning about the specific ways to "flip" the classroom.

Pre-recording the lectures and spending more time with activities, discussions, etc during class time. 

I have tried them on small time frames in the flipped classroom.  I think for the subject I teach it would be a challenge sometimes.  

From what I've learned so far it is important to inform all stakeholders about the flipped classroom for it to be effective and the most important of the stakeholders are the students. I love how this method provides a way for the students to take accountability in the learning and allows the instructors to give guidance when needed. 

I learned that the flipped classroom included pre-recorded lecture and that it could include materials such as khan and Ted talks

The Flipped Classroom concept has many real advantages in today's world. Many students can benefit from being able to view prerecorded lectures at their convenience. This helps people fit school into their busy lives with schedule flexibility. Another advantage of prerecorded content is having the ability to rewind or watch a lecture over again to gain maximum understanding. There is some very high quality content available across many different platforms that can be found online. Sources such as YouTube and Khan academy are great tools that today's students feel comfortable with. 

For our program - we were already doing this. We integrated online lectures through teams and NHA. The lectures corresponded with the itinerary of the day. I find that this works great and it also makes them responsible for reviewing before the class begins as they are given questions as "check in" to confirm they reviewed the material online. 

I'm open to the concept of the flipped classroom. But I must say the the on-line portion, the presenter, must be able to keep the attention of the learner. The information trying to be present will not come across if the learner has tuned out and the presentation is dragged out way too long.

If lectures and demos were recorded for student reference, perhaps the retention and execution of new information and work would improve.  This would be available in addition to the in class lecture/demo.

I now understand that all the pre-recorded lectures do not have to be my pre-recorded lecture. I can use other resources such as TED Talks, Khan Academy, and Youtube videos to name a few. I still struggle a little bit with explaining the process to students who are used to traditional pedagogy, only because it is different from what they are used to.

I like the idea of a flipped classroom but I fear my students would not watch the lectures before the ftf classes and be lost. I have already started the blended classroom and it is wonderful. Especially if a student misses class.

I will be teaching in a flipped classroom next semester. It will be very interesting to see how students respond to this method of self driven education.

While I thought I was familiar with flipped classroom learning, I see that the definition here is more expansive to be inclusive of video/lecture during F2F time. 

Sign In to comment