Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assessment can help to discover each students learning style

IUlearn about the CATs, very interesting ,will apply it to my students.

Learned the student assessments.

I like using the CAT activities and short review of the classes I also need to implement the blooms taxonomy better. I wish their were more skills application tests to see if they are grasping the practical skills but those seem to b going into extinction. 

I appreciated the sections speaking to active learning and ethics. The HBS videos were especially insightful - the case study video resonated as the professor spoke to knowledge being applied by a student later in life and remembered from class. 

Assessments are a good way of studying a student and seing how well they communicate and their education and comprehension level.

Assessing a student is a good way to determine where a student is at in learning.  Students self assesment is just as important.

I like the informal knowledge checks that can be performed in the classroom to check for understanding.  At times, the instructor will verbally ask students questions to obtain responses.  This is good for the instructor and to see where they are at and good for the student to hear the correct answer and reinforce learning.  

I learned Bloom's taxonomy (knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation) and its importance.  As educators, our job doesn't simply end by providing information to our students.  They have to learn how to apply/utilize the lessons they learned in real life.

Creating assessments that will adequately show a measurable amount your student assimilated during your course is probably the most difficult aspect of being an instructor. Courses require an amount of required content to meet academic requirements. If the content is less than the requirements, then the student is not prepared and if there is an excessive amount content students will be overwhelmed. An assessment of a chapter or chapters should not be over an excessive amount of content, students that study for a comprehensive exam over ten chapters of information will be overwhelmed and anxious due to the amount content studied to answer ten questions from each chapter in a hundred question exam. Test anxiety plays a huge role in student success when taking assessments. Is the assessment too hard or too easy? Gauging assessment difficulty so it shows an accurate trend takes time and patience.

It is important to assess student knowledge through assessing student performance and learning abilities. 

Group work can be very beneficial for building teamwork around students.

Assessments are important in measureing if they are retaining the content and how it can be applied.  

I teach chemistry and we work many problems in class.  When a student has trouble with solving a problem, I plan to use more questioning to lead the student to solving the problem rather than just showing them how to do it.  

In this module, I have learned the different methods for general education assessment that can be done in the classroom. I definitly will apply some of methods in my classroom.

Evaluating students and our teaching methods are very important to promoting the best way to teach. Both reliability and validity of our assessments should in turn create opportunities to help our students become the best.

CATs are a great way to evaluate where a student stands. We can then build off of their existing knowledge and skill level.

This module discussed CAT assessment and Bloom's Taxonomy as assessment measures.  The assessing of a student should be done througout a term by using these different measures.  Having the student be an active rather than a passive learner is important to assess and measure their level of learning and to identify gaps.

Having the ability to perform assessments is appropriate to determine one's learning ability and what they have learned so far. Because of this, several assessments are required like performance or knowledge based assessments to determine each students knowledge retention. 

I learned about the Classroom Assessment Techniques and how I can use them to do knowledge and comprehension checks, wake up the class and just to change the mood or stimulate learning.

Sign In to comment