Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

"instructor as a person".

Greet students warmly, try to make them comfortable by introduing myself and making an effort to know their names.

Mutual respect should always be observed in and out of the classroom.

Understanding the institutions cirriculum, your course within the cirriculum and the course outline as your master plan

First impressions are EVERYTHING. No one wants to learn from someone they do not feel comfortable around or that do not appear to have the knowledge that they are hoping to recieve 

IT's best to come in prepared

Being organized gives the students a sense of trust in your ability to teach and guide them

I have learned to prepare early in all acspects of the lesson, most importantly prior. I need to make sure I know how what to teach the subject matter, how to keep and inform students of the timeline and expectations as well learning the students on the fly and with dedicated preperation. 

Thank you, 

Francine Jimenez 

Prepare, prepare, prepare...and have key components listed that you know you want to cover, that are part of your list. I also make notes of things I've agreed to do for the students, as they ask for certain things in class, like changing the "due date and time" from 10pm to 11:59pm (23:59.)  

I love the idea of getting to class early. I always try to be in the room before any of my students because that does give us a chance to have casual conversations or for them to ask questions they may not want to say in front of others. Plus, it gives me time to have everything set up for class and to deal with any problems if they arise. I'm trying to also model good preparation skills for my students.

making a check list will be very helpful when knowing what has been said or what has not been covered

The core concepts are the trunk and additional information is the branches. Use a checklist to ensure that you do not forget information and that all of the plans that are set forth in the syllabus are followed. 

Preparing for a course does not stop - it continues with preparing for each CLASS.  How many times have you been a student and had an instructor walk in and think that he/she just "knows everything" and then they stumble and come across as completetly unprepared for the class and material that day? 

The 5 P's.  I've heard this reference since I was a young.  Guess what?  It is still relevant today and will probably be true a hundred years from now.

Being prepared before the class waks in reduces nervousness and distraction. Keeping a check list handy is helpful

Be well prepared with clear course obejectives and add personal resource packets to help keep lessons relevant to the times and technology.

be aware of my class as a student

Having a clear plan and expectation let's the students learn and understand clearly what the course is about.

It is important to be as prepared as possible before each class, be transparent so your students always know what to expect about their education, and keeping a notepad with reminders on the needs of individual students as well as the class as a whole.

Planning and preparation will provide a safe and consistent learning environment for your students. Students learn best when they know what to expect from the instructor. An unorganized environment can create a lot of confusion and demotivation for students. 

Prepare my students and hold them accountable. Keep a notepad handy.

I have study lean concepts for process improvement and love the correlation with lean and Instructional Offerings.  Providing the why to the student is a great start, a visual of the roadmap with the syllabus will help students understand where they are going and how to get there.  I also appreciate the checklist or standard work for the instructor.  It's not easy to remeber everything plus once you try out your checklist there will be things to add or remove.  

Sign In to comment