Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Know your material. It's okay to be nervous when first meeting your students, as a seasoned teacher or brand new. Preparation will be evident to your students.

preparation includes development of a syllabus and course outline. Students must know what is expected of them and of the instructor and course.

Coming to work early before students show up gives me the time and silence needed to go over the lesson, pending actions, emails, and my to do list for the day.

Using a checklist is the most helpful thing an instructor can do to help ease the first-class nerves.

I had already been using a checklist for my first day of class, but thinking about this further helped me realize I should create one of these for each day as each group moves at a different pace and perhaps need emphasis on specific ideas.

Preparation before class and also giving students appropriate guidlines and objectives.

Preparation before class and also giving students appropriate guidlines and objectives.

The syllabus needs to be very detailed and is a contract between student and instructor. get to class before students, learn thier names and keep a check list of what needs to be covered during class.

arrive early to prepare for class. hold students accountable

Spend time beforehand making sure that you are fully prepared.  Have a checklist with you to make sure that you don't miss any important information.  Have a notepad with you so that you can jot down things that need to be taken care of later as they arise in the moment.  This will keep you from struggling to remember everything later.  

Prep for the class, have an agenda, and discuss the agenda and expectations up front, answer questions to clarify agenda.

I'll totaly be referencing the syllabus elements. I've adjusted mine each semester, and everyone's style and fields are so different its difficult to cobble a functional yet unique syllabus. This is a nice, general approach that will help me refine my own syllabi.

This unit was very informative on the importance of being prepared.  Preparation helps set the tone for the class.

Overall and foremost is organization. Organization of the text, noteing taking, materials, ordering supplies, noting things throughout the course about students, class, meetings and or materials. The students can tell when they have an instructor who has their act together. Also, emphasizing the importance of undestanding the course syllabus to the students; that it is a contract between you and your students set up for the benefit of the students. Finally, be yourself and enjoy your time teaching.

Be prepared to benefit both the students and yourself. 

The course syllabus sets the stage for the comfort level of your students. I feel this is achieved on the first day of class. Assisting students in undertsanding the course goals and objectives will promote better student learning.

Offers us some good keys to organize and schedule the courses so that we can feel safe.

Having a clarity about the course content and preparation of the syllabus well in advance is a very important part of the planning. A clear syllabus not only helps the instructor to identifie the goals and objectives of the course, it also gives the students a great deal of ideas about their objectives. picking up good textbooks and formulating your own text is again vital for the success of the achievement of the goals as an instrutor.

Understand the importance of having clear and accessible guidlines for the course that are written and provided to the student up front.

It is important to provide a valid example of timeliness and feedback to the students in order to hold them accountable to punctuatlity and deadlines.  There is no harm in taking notes as the instructor during class in order to ensure that follow up that was promised to a student in deed takes place.

Sign In to comment