Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students need to be lead by example.  Instructors start this be being prepared for the lecture, whether using visual or audio aids.  It is highly recommend to arrive priot to the students to ensure the materials needed for the class are available.  

I like to put the agenda for the day's lecture and activities on the board.  I believe this helps to show the students that the instructor is prepared for lessons following the goals and objectives of the classromm syllabus.

Notes help make your daily taks easier, since it is a way to keep up with your duties and responsibilites. I make notes to help aid in making sure I don't forget things I have on my task list to get completed daily.

Students are watching everything you do, teach them right from the start. 

Setting goals and objectives is important when instructing students. Make it a priority to get to know their names as well as correct pronounciations of their names.

Planning and preparation are key

It is important for the students to understand not only what is expected of them, but also how to achieve said goal. They will also need to know their resources in which to complete not only their tasks, but to expand their knowledge as well. 

This module "Prepare to teach" is an excellent review of how to develop and teach a course.  My MSN Practicum project (Write P&P for positioning pt on Roto-Prone bed, with hands on teaching of ICU nurses) required the same elements.  Instructing students in the VN program, everything is prepared for us.  I agree with most everybody, to keep an outline and  notepad handy to make sure nothing is missed and jot down notes.  I appreciate the part "students will test your knowledge every day"... so make sure you are an expert on the subject matter.

This module provided all elements to prepare a teaching-learning session. My Practicum project for Masters in Nursing consisted of all the elements as well.  These elements are written & provided for us through the VN program.  I agree with most everyone else that it is important to keep an outline & notepad nearby to be sure you remember everything to be taught & to jot down any notes or questions that come up.  I appreciate the section that mentions students will test our knowledge everyday, so it is important to be an expert in the subject matter.

A checklist can be a helpful tool to ensure that you cover all necessary content during the class.

Staying organized will not only help make sure the students recieve all the information they need, but, it will also give me a structure to maintain confidence in presenting the material. It is important to be prepared and not do lesson plans on the fly, but rather, know my material and have clear objectives in getting that material accross to the target audience.

Prior planning prevents ......poor performance applies to teachers even more so than the students.

It is very important to be clear and precise

Being on time, being personal with the students to not only break the ice for the day but to also engage students for the day.

Prepare for interruptions and use notepad to write to do list to be sure you remember to take care of details as promised

Plan carefully and arrive early!  Greet the students as they enter.  Have a checklist so you don't forget anything important.  Keep a notepad with you so you can write thing down as they come up so you don't forget something for a student later.  

The Outline  and  checklist are useful instruments in the planning and preparation phase of teaching.

Being well prepared enhances the learnng for the students

Planning and Preparation

Preparation will help the student as well as the educator to know the material. 

Being prepared with a plan and checklist reduces anxiety and allows you to relax and welcome your students to class.  If I'm relaxed and engaged, I am modeling to my students that I want them to feel comfortable, relaxed, and engaged.

I love the video of the Harvard professor who is there thirty minutes early to greet the students.  I like how he said he does it partly to calm his nerves.  I can relate!  The sooner you can get out of yourself and focus on, as he says, "the names, spirits, and hearts" of the students, the better.

Sign In to comment