Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing and Leading

I feel despite the need to clearly define Leadership and Management, it’s a blurry path. Not often are we clearly able to determine which is in play at any given time. As a result, it’s best to understand both and when in doubt fall back to your training. Very similar to an athlete. You have to trust your training. Now if you don’t have training you have a problem.

With this in mind, what are some steps that we can take to "train".

Gary, Training plays a large role in development, you are correct. Do you think that someone can be both a manager and a leader, though?
Dr. Jean Norris

I do believe that each of us must be a combination of both.
The art is understanding which to use when and responding naturally.

The best athletes report being in the zone when they perform their very best.

The same is true of our leaders.

Gary

Taking this class has been very informative. I have been in a leadership role for years and I now realize that I have been wearing both hats for a long time. Making sure to reward employees and not trying to micro manage is the key. Goals that are set with specific deadlines make it difficult at times to follow these rules.

Gary, Excellent! We agree it depends on the situation.
Dr. Jean Norris

Mary, Thank you for sharing your insights. I am curious to hear more about your experience with goals that have specific deadlines. How does this situation make it difficult for you?
Dr. Jean Norris

Sign In to comment