Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

leaders verses managers

leaders are some one who one wants to follow.
managers are in the moment

Brenda, interesting point. I wonder, what has been your experience with these "in the moment" managers?

Dr. Jean Norris

I found the course interesting; however did have trouble finding the line between manager and leadership. In my mind managers instill the vision and concept of the goal and your leadership skills inspire your team to complete the goal own their own accord. Maintaining is up to the managers while leadership teaches others how to accomplish goals through positive re-enforcement and such. In either case the end result is the goal comes from both you as a manager and a leader.

Lori, great point. It sounds like you think of the term manager and leader as a combination role. I'm curious can one be a leader without having people to manage?

Dr. Jean Norris

I don't believe you can have leaders without managers.

Leaders have people who follow them, while managers have people who work for them.

Successful businesses need the leaders with the vision to grow and prosper the company. It also needs the managers to understand the vision and how to make that a success with the day to day operations.

Richard, Agreed! Both are necessary roles to play in different situations.
Dr. Jean Norris

I agree with what Lori said in her post. In my current professional role I am mainly a manager. I oversee instructors and students to keep them motivated and focused on their goals and the leaders keep myself focused on long term goals. I'm sure there are times I've wore both hats but I definitely think I'm more of a manager.

Can one person do both at different times or even at the same time?

L., Great question! What do you think?
Dr. Jean Norris

Sign In to comment