Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ethnicity in leadership

is there a difference in an individual cultural background as it relates to leadership and/or management style?

Richard, that's a great question. Each culture, even each school culture is different and so it's important to navigate, look into the differences, and perhaps even adapt when working with with various cultures.

Dr. Jean Norris

I beleive generational experience could have a greater impact to leadership and/or management style. Generational differences tend to incorportate cultural backgrounds, as we can see how the generation experience can establish an individual's cultural background.

I do not believe ethnicity in leadership (either as a barrier or as a benefitting factor) matters so much in today's environment, for a few reasons. One, ethnicity discussions lends itself sometimes into "groupthink" too much by lumping various bio-diverse individuals under one banner (be it race, religion, even culture). Normally, the prime factor for those stepping up to be leaders is based on their choice to do so. An individual, acting as his/her own agent, may obtain encouragement or rejection from this group when deciding to lead, but the decision is still remains with the individual to either press on or step down.

Secondly, becoming a leader or manager is a skill, and skills can be taught. Obviously, the style that a leader or manager adopts should be one that fosters optimal results for whatever organization is being led, be it a business, church, or a political campaign (among many others). If this style doesn't mesh, then that person is replaced with someone whose style does. One's ethnicity and cultural background should have no play in the crucial point.

A more interesting question (and one that will hopefully challenge notions of how we perceive leaders/managers) is:

What does an ideal leader look like? How do they act on a daily basis?

Sure, the charismatic speakers who rally people to a cause would first come to mind. But I'll toss that type in with others who may not fit that bill:

1) Barak Obama
2) Martin Luther King Jr.
3) Mother Theresa
4) Mahatma Gandhi

While the first two are no doubt charismatic speakers and obvious examples, Numbers 3 and 4 barely spoke above a whisper, and yet are iconic in their legacies as proven leaders.

And yet, all four have this in common: they made the choice to lead, and many others were moved enough to follow their lead.

This is a wonderful discussion starter Ian and you bring up great points about the choice to lead and the manner in which they do so. Martin Luther King Jr. and Mother Theresa demonstrated very different leadership styles yet they both had and continue to have a great following. Different people relate to different leaders, so I extend Ian's question out to the forum: What does an ideal leader look like? and, How do they act on a daily basis?

This subject speaks to me very much. English is not my first language and as a Brazilian native I learned that it's not easy to adapt to a different culture, specially if you have the role of a leader.
I recently have been appointed to be a program director and I certaily hope I have what it takes to be "the ideal leader". But, yes, I am kind of nervous. Even though I am very conscious of my accent and cultural manerisms, I feel like I am well respected by my students and co-workers. Spite of all the professional compliments I receive, I still deal with some complaints on HOW I "voice" my opinnions and express myself. What it may sound just the norm to me, it may be perceived as harsh, too "lively" or not tactful enough, to many Americans. I had to learn to be extremely conscious of how I communicate with people and I have to say it's constant hard work for me.
I believe the ideal leader should formost be passionate and knowledgeable about their field, regardless of cultural backgroud. I am fortunate enough to use my cultural backgroud to my benefit. The experience abroad is well appreciated when shared.
I'm looking forward to learn about anything regarding ethnicity in leadership.
I love reading these messages. I'm always amazed on how well some people write and express themselves. I'll just keep learning. Thank you.

Thank YOU Claudia for your insightful post. It sounds like you are working very hard and adapting your communication style and are open to the feedback of your peers, that's terrific. Good luck as you continue to work at being a great leader.

Dr. Jean Norris

A great leader simply leads by example. A leader that has character, morals, and the ability to continue the path why others (mostly those who do not possess the fortitude to lead) attempt to tear them down.

One of Mother Teresa's greatest attributes was to question her faith and yet continue to lead others to Christ.

Kevin, Thank you for sharing this great example of what it means to be a leader, regardless of your culture.
Dr. Jean Norris

Good question and an insightful observation. There definitely is a relationship between cultural backgrounds and the leadership and or management styles you acquire. I have found it difficult to overcome the pervasive micromanaging mentality amongst hispanics. I was born, raised, educated and worked in the US. I was a manager and I believe I learned and later developed leadership and management skills during my first career that have been very helpful in my second career. I believe all culture have impediments in this matter. I also believe that it is very important to remember your own when confronted with subordinates who may be struggling with the same hindrances, i.e. staff, employees, vendors and family.

I loved to read Claudia's comments about leadership. I am Brazilian too and I have felt everything she is describing. I have also noticed a difference in the dynamics of co-workers. This is probably due to the fact that most of the United States is a low context culture, while latin american countries are part of a high context culture. This means, leaders and managers are expected to have a closer relationship with their employees than their counterparts in the USA and co-workers are expected to rely more on each other. As a manager, this can be beneficial as you can delegate functions and tasks to groups but at the same time, employees are more likely to behave as a group when confronted with stressful situations...

Sign In to comment