Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Military knowledge helps me in corporate

I notice my military training has prepared me to what has become second nature with me. Making sure a person is sharing the same vision of the organization helps a lot. I have avoided leadership positions because of other commitments. However, co-workers and friends have come to me for directions. My initial exposure to leadership was during Army basic training when I was given the role a platoon guide. Following that was Senior Army ROTC, then on to obtaining my commission as an Adjutant General Officer Platoon leader with a platoon of 60 soldiers. In the Army had to have qualities such as: self-discipline, initiative, confidence and intelligence, physically fit, perform under physical and mental pressures, make decisions quickly, always focusing on completing the mission successfully, and show respect for their subordinates and other military officers. We were judge by the ability to make decisions. I see some of these skills learned are part of me and carry on to the workplace.

Nichelle, That sounds like a great experience, and you have some amazing skills. How do you apply them to your role in education?
Dr. Jean Norris

Understanding the strengths of my adjunct instructors is one of the skills I used in the military that I also use in education.

I also give the big picture of what I will accomplish each term and for the year. Obtain feedback from instructors to move forward. The department has a mission statement that connects with the school mission statement. This way we are all moving in the same direction.

Nichelle, That is excellent. Thank you for sharing!
Dr. Jean Norris

Sign In to comment