Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Decisions! Decisions!

From your perspective, what really constitutes an effective and successful decision?

Working with the Obstacles

Which obstacles to effective decision-making create the most challenges? How do you handle them to ensure a more fluid decision-making process?

Creativity and Innovation

Is there a difference between creativity and innovation? Please explain your answer.

Your Strategic Plan

As your career school goes through the strategic planning process, what components are included in its strategic plan? Which component do you believe is the most important to successful plan execution? Why?

The Strategic Thinker

What personal leadership characteristics, traits and/or skills are important to strategic thinking?

Following the Steps! Or Not?

We know that strategic planning is a process, but is strategic thinking also a process? If so, please identify the steps you would follow to ensure that strategic thinking occurs?

Conflict Management

I teach a conflict management class and the information presented in this module is a great, real-life application of many of the theories in that class. I thought process outlined in this module (1. Define the problem, 2. List possible causes, 3. Identify the causes, 4. Identify the solution, 5. Take corrective action, and 6. Follow-up) was a great framework. All too often people jump to figuring out a solution before they have a good understanding of the problem. Upfront, reflective analysis as well as follow-up on the back-end will help to ensure a constructive management of the problem.

Applying experiences

I find that by allowing students to bring their experiences into a class, they enjoy the entire course and gain more value from it. Furthermore, I will try to implement my experiences in law enforcement, and bring topics from legal, and police work to the forefront. I will use discussion board topics and our chapter summaries to go in depth in our discussions throughout the term. George Ackerman

tests

I am trying a new experiment with my students. I am letting them create their own test . Each student submits 3 questions fromt the material that we have covered and from these questions I create the test. So far, from what I have heard - their questions may be harder than what I had anticipated. Will let you know how this turns out!!

Encouraging Creativity

Hi, I am a social psychology facilitator/instructor. I find it very helpful to relate topics to every day social experiences in order to encourage creativity and generate new ideas.

How do you know if you are the problem?

This is a interesting question how do you know if you are the problem?

Addressing the problem-without getting personal

Recently, a problem was brought to my attention by some students, the problem was with a co-worker. The student's were reluctant to to speak up, so I did. I made my boss aware of the problem by addressing the issues of the students by giving the facts of this situation as I understood it without making any personal comments about my coworker.

Encourage Creativity

I am a Business Technology Instructor, and I often find that the more I encourage my students to be creative when completing assigned work, the less they copy from each other. Secondly, I notice that I don't get as many moans and groans when I assign individual projects.

Using the Forum

This forum is not facilitated by a faculty member. The intention of the forum is to allow you to interact with other course participants - career school professionals who have the same interests as you. You can start a new discussion thread on any topic related to this course or participate in any ongoing discussions. Go ahead, post a question and/or share your knowledge and experiences with your peers. Let us create an active learning community where we can all learn from each other. Note that the discussions in this forum occur in an asynchronous fashion. So please don't expect… >>>

Using the Forum

This forum is not facilitated by a faculty member. The intention of the forum is to allow you to interact with other course participants - career school professionals who have the same interests as you. You can start a new discussion thread on any topic related to this course or participate in any ongoing discussions. Go ahead, post a question and/or share your knowledge and experiences with your peers. Let us create an active learning community where we can all learn from each other. Note that the discussions in this forum occur in an asynchronous fashion. So please don't expect… >>>

Using the Forum

Using the Forum