Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

The Vision Statement

What role does the vision statement play in the innovation process?

Outcome or Process?

"Innovation is more of an outcome than it is a process." Do you agree or disagree? Why?

This was very useful

The checklist to rate decisions on a scale of 1-3 to decide whether it should be made individually or as a group was a great rubric.

Postems and Creative Thinking

Use postems to have individuals come up with ideas and then use a gallery wall, or white board for the individuals to post them. Have everyone wall by and move them in groups. Great way to get everyone's input.

An idea from the "hot line"

During my time in kitchens I learned that listening to my cooks for ideas was most often the best way to finding the solution for the problem, if you are in a position that can see the problem every day you're the most likely person to have the best solution. Following this same idea, I like to listen to what my instructors and our students have to say to find the solution to a problem that I might have just been exposed to.

additional techniques to share

Another creative problem solving technique I have used is called carousel-“ing,” in which you have about 8 varied topics written at the top of a very large piece of paper taped on the walls around the perimeter of the room. Each group writes in a list format their ideas to that topic, each visit to each paper is timed and the group is asked to move to the next paper. As a result, piggy backing occurs and a large amount of ideas are generated in a short amount of time. In addition everyone participates & physically moves around the room.

What if the problem is with a consultant?

What if the problem seems to stem from the attitude of a paid consultant? Has anyone ever been in a situation whereby a well-respected consultant was helpful with his/her guidance and expertise but detrimental at the same time due to him/her sharing negative perceptions of the organization's leadership style and organization's culture? If so, how did you handle the situation?

Brainstorming is a cornerstone to Composition

One of the creative techniques mentioned in the tutorial is what I consider paramount to the writing process, and that's brainstorming. Without brainstorming sessions, so many of my students wouldn't know what to write about for their essays. So much can be generated in a brainstorming session (even if it's less than 20 minutes long). We've come up with debate topics, cause-effect relationships, problem-solution strategies, etc. via brainstorming, and it also keeps students involved, and accountable to their own learning process. The tutorial provided good information that is always good to revisit.

Running meetings

The most useful part of this tutorial to me was the description of how to run a meeting or work in a group. I have been elected PTA president for next year and I am getting ready to do just that. It is a different experience from teaching college classes. My biggest concern is that last year's president will be at the meetings so there may be some control issues. Has anyone ever had this issue?

Tutorial.

I am doing this because my schools requires it, but I did enjoy all the information I learned in the tutorial.

Problem Solving

I teach Customer Service, Office Procedures, and Interpersonal Communications; this will definitely help me with my group assignments I give my students. Thanks.

Refresher

This was good information.

Thinking Creatively

Some of the best policies and procedures that we have implemented have come from examining what works, what doesn't work and the creatively coming to the best solution with how to proceed. Very informative!

Proactive decisions vs. reactive decisions

I have found that instead of reacting immediately to a problem in order to resolve it, it is better to make sure you have all information to make the best decision possible. This can avoid additional mistakes in the process.

Refresher

Nice to have a refresher from time to time.

knowledge

great information

Information

I loved refreshing on the information presented here. Victoria Capurso

Knowledge

Very informative! Victoria Capurso

Action Plans

How do your campus's or department's action plans support your organization's overall corporate strategy?

The Creative Environment

What characteristics exemplify a creative workplace? Does your organization's work culture and environment support creativity? If so, how?