Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Working with the Obstacles

Which obstacles to effective decision-making create the most challenges? How do you handle them to ensure a more fluid decision-making process?

Some obstacles I have encountered that have created the most challenges have been the ones where the team doesn't agree with each other on what change needs to occur. I have managed these by working to keep the team focused on our goal when they get off track, recapping their viewpoints to ask how that perspective adds value and leading the balance of what decision makes the most sense to our customer or company.

Misty,

I think that you have identified one of the major challenges and have also identified a good process for effectively facilitating solid decision making. Nicely done.

There are many obstacles to decision making while working with a group. If the group feels powerless to the outcome they will always bring up the hazards and threats of new processes.Its important to have the members of the group feel like they have the power to decide the best possible solution, they are more likely to focus in on the rewards if they feel they will have their voices heard.

David,

Very important point. Key is keeping people collectively focused on the best possible solution.

Barrier to finding a solution is when group feels no matter what solution is given their ideas will not be taken seriously or even considered.

Katrena,

Good point. Essential to effective decision making is first listening to inputs from the appropriate constituents. This is important both within the group and as you mentioned also across the different levels of the organization. The latter is particularly challenging in larger organizations where communication does not always flow up and back down effectively. What do you think could be done to improve this problem?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I have found that people really take dissenting opinions personally. When a group of people are making an important decision, they can get hurt. Not too long ago I saw a dean quit his post because the institution moved in a direction that differed from his opinion.

German,

It is a challenge to develop a collaborative and constructive culture where dissenting opinions are valued and listened to. Ultimately a decision has to be made but listening to all stakeholders and understanding how decisions will impact the different stakeholders involved in the decision making process is essential. In your example do you feel that the Dean's opinion was acknowledged and considered in the decision making process?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I do. I think that he was such a beloved person at the institution that we tried to make it work, but it takes two sides, for that to happen.

German,

Those types of situations are difficult. I appreciate you sharing a live example.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I think, for a manager, the hardest obstacle to effective decision making, is getting the whole group to to work together effectively and once a decision is made, for all stakeholders to effectively and supportively implement the decision. As opposed to, agreeing to the decision and waiting on the manager to make the decision work.

Lisa,

Good points. The collaborative decision making process should help minimize this issue to a certain degree. If everyone's view point has been heard and discussed it is easier for folks to buy into not only the solution but also being vested in implementation. I think as decisions are made it is important to clarify who will need to do what to move things forward. This helps eliminate some of what you identified above where there is a feeling of great idea now knock yourself out and go do it! Those involved in collaborative decision making process have to take ownership in what they need to do individually and collectively to move forward once a decision has been made.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Sign In to comment