Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

tests

I am trying a new experiment with my students. I am letting them create their own test . Each student submits 3 questions fromt the material that we have covered and from these questions I create the test. So far, from what I have heard - their questions may be harder than what I had anticipated. Will let you know how this turns out!!

I would love to know how this turned out. I have found that giving students some ownership in the material has proven beneficial. I have not tried what you did though. I generally give allow them to make up a question for the midterm or final on one of the tests. I set certain criteria that they have to meet in order to get the bonus. For example, what is your name or your favorite ice cream does not get them the bonus. They have to come up with real questions pertaining to the subject material. I have found that many come up with excellent and difficult questions. What were the results of your experiment?

I have let my students help with the making of your test. We discuss the questions in class and the next day they get a type out of the questions with other review questions. It's amazing to see the students reaction when they see there own questions on the test. I beleive it helps with their self esteem.

I think this is a great idea! Not only does it encourage the students to think more creatively, but it also helps you gauge as an instructor, what knowledge the students think is most important about the subject.

I may use this idea for my next quiz; thanks for the suggestion!

This is a wonderful idea. Learning made fun!

I think that is a good idea, students making their orn tests. It shows what they know and you could always rewrite the questions.

It is a great idea! Yes; please let us know how it turns out for you. I wish I could have had the opportunity to participate in deciding what was of interest to me.

I have done this before and it works well. The students try to "one-up" each other by making harder questions which in turn, reinforces their learning. This type of activity works well for lecture classes because it gives the students a bit of a break from the instructor.

Sign In to comment