Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Following the Steps! Or Not?

We know that strategic planning is a process, but is strategic thinking also a process? If so, please identify the steps you would follow to ensure that strategic thinking occurs?

Strategic thinking is definitely a process, as much as strategic planning. In order to plan strategically, it is absolutely essential that we think strategically.

The process of a strategic thinking is to process, possess and incorporate the characteristics of a strategic thinker. While understanding the relationship between thought and character. Seeing that relationship is a process,in and of one itself. Because over thoughts become over words written or spoken, our words become our habits,our habits develop our character and our character determines or destiny or destination.

Before making any final decision, or implementing any plan of action I would carefully step by step examine every thought with an analytical approach. I would be careful to never eliminate, but always embrace and nurture the specific personal traits, behaviors, attitudes and thinking skills necessary for strategic thinking and thinkers.

Eural,

I like your thinking here. I also think that strategic thinking requires a leader to scan the internal and external environment and to be able to understand the relationships between many factors that may impact your decision. It is somtimes difficult when we are caught up in our day to day operational activities to step back and think strategically about key decisions but it is essential to our personal and organizational success. Are there other things you see as critical to being a good strategic thinker?

Dr. Faulkner

Yes its a process.....

Ask questions, analyze, ask questions, analyze, and so on.....

The process not to follow is "assume whats been done or not" and make recommendations without knowing whats already been on/off the table or reinventing the wheel.

Ask probing questions to both leadership and peers to hone in on your target. Understanding the complexity, challenges, budget, timeline, or limitations in general will help both with questioning and analyzing for yeilding the best possible outcomes.

Wayne,

I like your focus on questioning and listening. I think good strategic thinkers also understand that strategic thinking and planning is a dynamic process that never stops. Strong strategic leaders continually listen,question assumptions, scan the environment both internally and externally, and make connections on how these things may impact their organization. Have you worked for someone that you would consider an outstanding strategic thinker? If so, what were the things you observed that made them a strong strategic leader?

Strategic thinking is also a process. Organization, observation, views, and driving forces are all part of this process which leads one to how business vision can be accomplished.

Adela,

What are the steps you would follow to ensure that strategic thinking occurs?

The process,.... Well, given the opportunity it starts within the mind of the break down of budget, materials, personell, strengths of individual members on the crew and where to focus their unique abilities along the way to hit short term deadlines as well as comunicating with the other build related deptmnts, their foremen as well as their crw to see if we can assit each other on the way to the final deadline. This process happens very quickly within my mind when approached with a budget for any buid. this course has just help me connect the dots and give an already natural gift a form of a more disciplined structure to follow.

Shawn,

Nice example of how strategic thinking process is a part of your daily work. Because alot of folks are involved in your projects I am sure that you have to do alot of listening, alot of collaboration with others, and scanning what is changing internally and exeternally. I am glad to here this course has helped provide a framework to help with what it sounds like comes very natural to you!

Strategic thinking is also a process and the following are the steps,

1.Determine whether your company and unit have strategic plans.
Ask your boss whether strategic plans exist at the corporate and unit levels. If so, see if you can obtain copies. The information contained within these documents will help you gain a better understanding of your company's and unit's strategic missions, visions, and goals.

2.Talk with your boss about your corporate and unit strategies.
After you have reviewed all the strategy documents that are available to you, talk with your boss about the company's and unit's future direction. Ask your boss to tell you about corporate or unit planning sessions that he or she has attended.

3.Ask for your peers' perspectives on company and unit strategies.
Talk with other managers in your organization to understand how the company and units approach strategy formulation, planning, and execution.

4.Observe the decisions and messages that are being communicated by executives and managers in your organization.
•Read or listen to presentations that the CEO has made to the board, investors, and others. CEO presentations typically communicate direction and progress toward both short-term business goals and long-term strategic initiatives.
•If your company is public, read its annual report.
•Review your organization's Web site.
•Review your company's advertisements and press releases.
•Look at marketing and product information.
•Examine newsletters and other communication channels for information about your organization's strategy.
•Attend all company meetings in which strategies and results are discussed. Doing so will keep you on top of changes taking place in the organization.
5.Be able to discuss your company's and unit's strategies with others. By talking about your corporate and unit strategies and answering questions that others may have, you will deepen your understanding of the strategies at play within your organization.

Margarita,

You have provided some very practical and useful advice on things that any employee or manager can do to stay connected to the overall strategic direction of their organization. These steps will all so help ensure that strategic thinking is aligned with strategic direction of the organization.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I think we can practice strategic thinking on a regular basis while doing our daily routines. I like to constantly challenge my own opinions no matter how long I've believed in them. Circumstances around us are always changing and things that I thought I'd never do ten years ago could be something I'd consider doing now. Also, I like to talk to people who are different from me. As long as I keep an open mind, some of their opinions are very interesting and have led me to change my own as well. It's difficult sometimes to relate to them but it keeps me grounded knowing that not everyone thinks like I do.

Kathy,

Interesting perspective. I think you hit on a critical point that it is important to continue to be open and listen to others even if there view point may not be aligned with yours. What department do you work in and what other functional areas do you find yourself having different points of view on topics on a regular basis?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Strategic thinking is process that allows the leaders or team to accurately frame the right challenge and look for optimal solutions.
The process would include:
• Assessing the situation
• Asking opened question to ensure that the leadership team is on the same page
• Determining what is the end-state goal and ensuring alignment amongst the leadership team
• Drawing out the potential solutions (thinking out of the box)
• Discussing the pro and cons of each potential solution
• Developing an implementation plan and moving forward.

Harvey,

Well done Harvey. Strategic thinking requires being thoughtful of both external and internal factors that need to be considered during the assessment and development of potential options. Can you provide an example of when you have used the process you have outlined regarding strategic thinking?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Perspective is also important. A strategic planning process sometimes means stepping back from the task at hand and reminding yourself about the bigger picture.

Charles,

Good point! Looking at broader context is essential. Research is supporting the fact that the creative and strategic thinking processes are enhanced when people have time to quiet the mind, reflect and put themselves in the state of mind that provides perspective beyond the immediate. What

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Strategic thinking can be viewed as a dynamic process that continually evolves. A strategic thinker will continue to ask questions, evaluate seemingly unrelated data, discern trends and establish relationships, while adapting to the changing environment. A strategic thinker is always willing to learn and apply new knowledge.

James,

Good points. I have recently spent several days in strategic planning sessions in different regions of the U.S. and Canada. One additional point that I would add to your comments is that strategic thinking requires you to step back from the narrow operational focus that is required and an essential part of our daily work and success. Strategic thinking requires you to look more broadly at trends, relationships, connections between ideas, etc... . As technology increases both the productivity and pace of our daily lives I believe it is increasingly important that we step away periodically, quiet the mind, and allow ourselves to think more broadly and strategically. What are your thoughts in this regard?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Hi;
Yes most definitely I feel it is a process as that infers a series of discrete steps that are interconnected. That process I feel differs for each of us depending on how analytical we are. Some of us are touchy feely and so the process may incvolve a number of intangibles. Some of us are very discipined in our orientation based perhaps on our education and experiences and stress the tangibles. I was brought up with an engineering background and so am very methodical and approach issues with a determined mindset. I think each approach has application depending on the circumstances. The set of steps to be followed maps to how we process information. There would be the natural aspect of information gathering and verification and then of course the assessment ad action phases. The number of phases or steps varies based on each one of us. I do not think there is a set rule of thumb but it is the outcomes that matter. That is, if the information being processed is not "rich" enough the outcome will be arrived at with some degree of "luck" or conjecture. There is also information overload which will provide many answers and also lead to dysfunctionality. Creating a proper balace is the challenge. In any event, this balance it constantly being upset by world events and change in the world's dynamics.
Bob

Sign In to comment