Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creativity and Innovation

Is there a difference between creativity and innovation? Please explain your answer.

Creativity is the process of visionary thinking while innovation is the process of continued thinking. I think of GE's slogan " GE, we bring good things to light" when I think of innovation. Light bulbs have been around for decades but, consider the orignal light bulb to light bulbs of the 21st century. The energy efficient bulbs last up to 7 years, not sure how long the first light bulb lasted but probably not as long.

I believe the main difference between creativity and innovation are, creativity is experimental and innovation is on-going. Both concepts work hand-in hand; similar to marketing and sales.

Rebecca,

You are correct in that the two are linked together. The creative process generates the new ideas and concepts and the innovation process transforms those ideas and concepts into a new deliverable product or service. You are also correct in that innovation is an ongoing process of continual improvement.

Creativity is the thought process and ideas for a new concept. It's the initial stage of building a concept. Innovation is the process stage of making the concept a reality. It's similar to the process of conceptualizing and creating a movie or video

I have always thought of innovation as the practical application of creative thinking. For me creativity does not always involve a direct link to a solution. Creativity, in my way of thinking about it, is free thinking, not constrained by the need to arrive at a solution, it can truely think outside the box, but when it comes time to use the ideas generated in a creative process, it requires the 'creative' application of the generated ideas toward the issues at hand, and if a improved way of addressing the problems becomes available and is applied, it is an innovation.

Creativity is creating thoughts where innovation is applying those thoughts

Jerry,

There is a great book titled "Execution" by Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan that provides good insight into execution of ideas and strategy. If this is a topic of interest I would highly recommend.

Dale,

Well said. The exciting thing I am seeing in higher education right now is that innovation is accelerating at both a micro and macro level. From innovation in fundamental processes to innovations in how,when, as well as formats that learning is taking place is truly occuring at a rapid rate. Those that are harnessing the power of creativity and innovation in their organizations are truly creating competitive advantage.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

As stated in the course information, creativity is a process of developing and expressing useful ideas. Innovation takes a step further by embodying, combining and/or synthesizing knowledge to make new products, processes, or services. Innovation is the end result of the creative process.

I look at the difference between the two by thinking of an entrepreneur who has an idea that solves problems and develops that idea (creative process) and the end result is perhaps a mobile app that deploys those solutions (innovation). There is a distinction between the two, but they are more related than they are different.

Pamela,

Nicely stated Pamela. I think you have captured the essence of the differences and connection between creativity and innovation.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

I like this simplified way of stating the difference between creativity and innovation.

To add, I would say that creativity is the process of gathering thoughts together, and looking at those thoughts from a different angle by discussing it with people that have a different perspective. Once those thoughts go through the group-analyzing process--I think it is then possible for innovation to happen. For a tool to be used with the thought.

Christine,

I think you are correct. Collaboration does not always mean consensus but it allows all perspectives and stakeholders to have input which typically leads to a stronger solution. Your insights here and your other post are good reminders of environment needed for creativity and innovation to occur.

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Yes--love this answer made me think.

Creativity is developing or coming up with the idea and innovation is how to implement or transform that idea.

Troy

Dale

That's a great answer.

Troy

Troy,

What do you think are the key elements of moving from a creative idea to implementation of that idea?

Dr. Blake Faulkner

Creativity is the process of generating ideas for new concepts or solutions. Innovation is the process of turning the creative concept or solution into and end product or new process.

Sign In to comment