Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do you know if you are the problem?

This is a interesting question how do you know if you are the problem?

I try to make those I work with or train, feel safe with me.

I also open the door and let people know if there is a problem to please come to me and we can see how to resolve.

I am fairly confident in myself, and I don't mean arrogant. So I am not threatened if someone would come to me and let me know I am the cause of a problem. I would see what it is about, try to clarify mis-undertandings and do my best to resolve it.

Well, one must identify details of the situation, and get personal feed back from others.

Hopefully everyone that you work with is open to constructive criticism and comfortable enough with each other to talk with.

As a manager, i feel the same way. If you do all of the above i.e try to clarify mis-understandings and then the person keeps on been nagative whould it be acceptable to avoid communication i.e email and reffer the person to another manager to deal with?

My initial thought is that I would not refer the person to another manager. I recently faced this problem. I had a very negative employee on my team and the assumption of many was that he was just not happy with is job. He had devoted a few years to his work so I was very interested in saving him. It was after a couple sit-down sessions with him that I finally got him to open up. As it turns out, he was unhappy with his home life and quite stressed with meeting financial obligations as a one-income family. Unfortunately for all, he was bringing an unhappy face and nonchalant attitude to his workplace and other employees did not enjoy being around him.
I feel that avoiding communication with him or referring him to someone else would have only made matters worse. Understanding the root of the problem, and allowing him to talk about it, let him know we (the team) cared about him and made him feel valued.

I am in complete agreement with Janis Rodgers' reply posted on May 15, 2008 @ 08:43 PM (EST).

By having an open door policy and being receptive to feedback/criticism, if you are perceived as the problem or part of the problem, others will be more willing to approach you about the issue and then a resolution can be found.

I just dealt with a situation that i was the problem, however the person didn't come talk to me and our supervisor pulled me into a meeting. the so called event happened a month prior to us sitting down. First the issue should of been dealt with asap and not later plus we were never brought together as a team to discuss the issue. So when I talked with the other person(which i do daily) i told them if there are a other problems that they can come talk to me directly. because what i was told wasn't what he told me so now who's telling me the truth?

Self analysis is key to being honest with yourself.It helps me to be open to ideas I would otherwise dismiss.If I reject all criticism I end up building a wall against new ideas.

Great question! I think always being open to feedback is very important. This gives the individual something to constantly improve upon and be able to focus on their strengths and weaknesses, or what they need to work on in order to be more productive.

Sign In to comment