Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Addressing the problem-without getting personal

Recently, a problem was brought to my attention by some students, the problem was with a co-worker. The student's were reluctant to to speak up, so I did. I made my boss aware of the problem by addressing the issues of the students by giving the facts of this situation as I understood it without making any personal comments about my coworker.

This sounds like a good problem solving method. Perhaps a follow up could be done to ensure the students satisfaction with the outcome.

Not making any personal comments about the co-worker was wise as it did not allow for the "name calling" that would have complicated the matter even more.

Getting personal with anyone can create added stress. It is best to refrain from attacking individuals and just address the situation in hand.

I think it was positive that the students felt safe with you to express their concerns.

However, I would have asked them to offer some type of solution. This then requires them to act more like adults and learn to develop problem solving techniques.

I agree with you. You can address a problem without making personal comments about an individual. At my job, a coworker in another department is always rude to students. We had to remind all employees that we all work for the same company and our goal should be the same - to satisfy the customer. I believe that individuals tend to forget that and sometimes operate as if each department is a separate company.

I agree with you specially in my profession as a college counselor in which I have to keep confidentiality.But in similar cases between students and professors I would talk to the Director of Faculty and Curriculum who is the right person who would take care of the situation and come across with the right solution.

I agree that not making it personal in the situation can be a challenge. It is not the route often taken in my experience receiving this type of feedback as the manager. Often the communication I receive places personal thoughts, perceptions, and feels entwine was originally true facts. Also, I am not sure of the severity, but the situation could also be brought to the co-workers attention if it is a potentially correctable behavior.

Sign In to comment