Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Conflict Management

I teach a conflict management class and the information presented in this module is a great, real-life application of many of the theories in that class.

I thought process outlined in this module (1. Define the problem, 2. List possible causes, 3. Identify the causes, 4. Identify the solution, 5. Take corrective action, and 6. Follow-up) was a great framework.

All too often people jump to figuring out a solution before they have a good understanding of the problem. Upfront, reflective analysis as well as follow-up on the back-end will help to ensure a constructive management of the problem.

I work now as a college professor. Prior to that I worked in corporate America for over 30 years. During that time, I used the concepts presented in this course quite often.

I also worked in corporate management prior to teaching. I always required a formal (or semi-formal) problem solving process. I did so for three reasons:
- The process was instructive to subordinates.
- The input was much more diverse and creative than I could generate myself.
- The process almost always ensured buy-in (ownership) of the solution.

For students hoping to work in the field of business, this is a valuable skill!

Pre-emptive approach to problem solution never gives a good solution to a problem. It's a hasty decision -making.
Gilbert Akpan

This is a good method to solve problem; it's scientific.
Gilbert Akpan.

As with any problem using a systematic approach will lead to the solution, the school I teach at
uses a very similar form to this for mechanical troubleshooting, I'm sure applying it to other situations will be quite helpful.

Sign In to comment