Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using the Forum

This forum is not facilitated by a faculty member. The intention of the forum is to allow you to interact with other course participants - career school professionals who have the same interests as you. You can start a new discussion thread on any topic related to this course or participate in any ongoing discussions. Go ahead, post a question and/or share your knowledge and experiences with your peers. Let us create an active learning community where we can all learn from each other.

Note that the discussions in this forum occur in an asynchronous fashion. So please don't expect a reply right away. The best way to track the discussions is to add them to "My Threads". This option is available for each discussion thread. When you add a thread to "My Threads", you will receive an email copy of each posted message that is related to that thread. If you make a post, that thread is automatically added to "My Threads". You can manage your discussion thread subscriptions via a link that appears on the homepage of each forum.

As managers, if we do not allow employee input to problem solution we risk not having employees involved at all in our solutions. We address many issues daily throughout our job and we can ensure creativity and resolution will come from employees as long as we allow them to have input. Problems or concerns can be addressed by an employee or a group of employees which makes our jobs easier as managers of the business. As mediators we can ensure the right flow of the decision making process and provide employees opportunities to grow in the workplace.

I agree with your comments, I fail to see strong parallelism with your comments and teaching and/or dealing with students. I entered education from the professional world. Your comments – this entire course – would apply directly to my previous work as a project manager. Many times replacing the words “employees” with “students” and “managers” with “teachers” results in nonsensical paragraphs.

I have to disagree, in some part, with Joseph's statement regarding treating "students" like "employees" or "teachers" acting in the same way as "managers".

I assume we are both talking about adult learning, since we've entered the education world from the professional world. Yes, there are differneces in managing employees and managing students, but adult learners need to feel like they are part of their own education, hence they need to feel as if they are part of the "solution". They need to be able to provide input in to their education process. Yes, we as educators must control the direction of the classroom much like we as managers must control the direction of our business. But in both cases, we end up with a win-win situation if the employees/students buy into the solutions.

Instead of employee teams working toward a solution, we have student teams working together to find an effective method of studying that works best for them.

As instructors, we mediate the flow of information and decision-making much like we did as managers in the professional world.

Vickie

I can always use more advise from manager that have been exposed to many scenerios, any suggestions?

your are very right

Where does the vision of the learning organization come from other thasn the personal mastery of the participants?

Sign In to comment