Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Just not feeling the vibe

Sometimes in an interview I am not feeling it. The candidate might be experienced for the job but our personalities do not mesh. How do i get over my own opinions and give the person a chance?

Corin,
I am not sure you need to. You are also looking for organizational fit as you interview a candidate. If you don't "feel it" during an interview, it is unlikely that it will surface later. That also is why you want to involve multiple interviewers. Opinions will differ, but if the majority feel good about the candidate, you might want to take a chance with him/her.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

As arrogant as it sounds, I generally believe we all feel it in our guts when the fit would not work well. Some people have a knack for "reading others". I am often amazed at how astute my admissions team is in finding the incongruous statements made by candidates. Go with your gut!

Eva,
I don't feel that your comment was arrogant, we often have a "gut" feeling about someone, either positive or negative and many times it turns out to be accurate. In addition to having a "knack" for "reading others" there are some specific things your admissions people can be trained to do that enhance their "gut" abilities. For example, active listening; observing body language; watching eye movements; listening to the general flow of speech; presence of visible enthusiasm or lack of it; and the level of assuredness an individual demonstrates when providing answers to seemingly simple questions. Being tuned into your gut is a great trait for admissions personnel, but it wouldn't hurt to reinforce it with some proven psychological indicators of human behavior.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment