Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Appropriate Interview Attire

I have noticed a somewhat new dress code trend for interviews. This is highly opinionated; however what are your thoughts about appropriate interview attire? Is it still necessary for men and women to wear business suits to interviews? Many applicants are now wearing more business casual attire. Any thoughts?

Elizabeth,
I think that you can get away with business casual for a lower level in the corporate or campus organizatioal structure. The higher the level, the more necessary the business suit. The other piece that dictates attire is the career field that you are attempting to enter. The arts tend to be more casual than a pure business setting.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I think it's position specific, when in doubt the candidate should overdress. There is nothing worse then interviewing someone for a position that requires professional dress and they are business casual.

joshua,
Inappropriate dress can be distracting as well. Rather than listening closely to your responses to questions, the interviewer is thinking about your attire. Overdressing to the extreme can have the same effect, although I agree with your statement, when in doubt, overdress. If there is any way that you can visit the company prior to the interview, you can begin to guage what is apprpriate attire. I have always told students that you dress one level up meaning that you dress on the job like your supervisor and others at that level dress. That prepares you in appearance at least for your next promotion. But that, of course, is after you have the job.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I think it is important to wear professional business attire to interviews. That is part of the package in presenting yourself to a potential employer in a professional manner and I think it shows that the candidate has taken the time and effort to present themselves in their best professional light. I think it also shows respect to the person/people doing the interviewing and the company that they represent.

Cathy,
I agree with your comments. The way a candidate dresses for an interview provides another piece to the puzzle regarding who he/she is. Although I don't support basing a hire/no hire decision on just attire, it does give an indication of one's professionalism. There are so many pieces that go into shaping who the candidate is, however. For example, how well did Career Services do in preparing this person for the interview? What is his/her personal financial situation? Is he/she able to afford acceptable interview clothing? It could be an attempt to sabbatage one's ability to land the job offer if the candidate doesn't feel prepared to take on the rigors of a new position. So, my point is to use the candidate's attire as one aspect of that person's appropriateness for the position.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

The dress standards have altered with time and for argument I would say it is positive. It is very refreshing to see the individuality of a person it makes them relatable to our industry. Of'course they would would have to maintain a sense of professionalism, it also display diversity and the interviewers confidence. Clothes say a lot.

Monica ,
I agree that the standards have changed but seem to be swinging back in the other direction slowly. I do believe in some individuality but I also believe that there need to be some hard limits. For example, no shorts or low cut tops. Clothing should not pose a distraction. Part of our responsibility as leaders, whether faculty or administrators, is to keep up with the trends in the industry. This should include attire and is information that should be discussed, reviewed periodically, and shared with students.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Business casual is acceptable, but depending on the level of the job you should dress for the job.

marsha,
If the candidate is applying for an executive level position, I would be concerned if he/she showed up for the interview in business casual. Attire, however, is something which is easily fixed through an open conversation with the candidate should all other factors hit the mark.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Cathy,

I too believe the way an interviewee dresses for an interview speaks volumes in their interest and respect for the position they are interviewing for. Dressing too casually may give the impression that the job is not of great importance to the candidate.

Diane,
I agree. However, thematurity of the individual, length of time out of the workforce, etc. can impact how a candidate dresses. I guess I consider attire a lower priority if all other factors are star quality. Changing the way an employee dresses is usually an easy fix.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Business casual is now the norm. I the position required a uniform or tie or business suit it would be appropriate to bring this to light on the first interview. The second interview would certainly show the applicant's interest...!!!

Ken

Kenneth,
Depending on the area of the country, business casual may or may not be the "norm." Positions in the North East and Mid-West for example, generally expect professional, i.e. not casual, dress for interviews regardless of what the company dress code is. Out West, where high tech is very casual, it may be a different story. The best rule of thumb for any candidate is to arrive "dressed for success." Regardless of how you personally feel about casual vs. professional dress, interview candidates should be expected to arrive dressed at least one level above the company's norm. Dress is a reflection on the individual and how he/she perceives him or her self as a professional. In some instances, casual dress perceived by potential employers as a reflection of an individual's attitude, can be a strong negative.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment