Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Recruiting the Best Person for the Job

What type of recruiting practices or procedures does your school use? How effective are they? What do you believe is the best type of recruitment method?

The school I'm at uses a lot of social meadia and online job agencies. They have worked well to fill admin jobs but I have had no luck with instructor jobs. I have had the best luck with work of mouth recruiting. Word of mouth comes with refrences you trust.

Matthew,
Recruiting for faculty online depends on the credibility and reach of the website you use. For example, LinkedIn is generally considered a reliable source for referrals that are generated from professional contacts. However, as you stated, for local recruiting "word of mouth" or contact referrals are your best sources. Local professional or State associations are also good sources for networking and making contacts.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

We use the Lominger, it has very specific people questions. The candidate explains a situation and how they worked through it. It works well for us. We follow that with a less formal process of information gathering.

Steve,
Lominger is a great resource and you are apparently experiencing its value. Providing a candidate with "real world" situation that they have to analyze and react to provides insight into their though processes and ability to come up with a course of action. You are to be commended for using this approach. Preparing in advance for the potential candidate's interview is also an important element of the hiring process. Too often interviewers rely on reviewing a candidate's resume just before the interview and fail to develop an interview strategy and outline of meaningful questions.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

I have to agree with you on this. The shift to social media for me is more miss that hit. So, reverting back to the word of mouth recruiting and asking for that golden referral is essential. Also, depending on the type of fields you are training for, it may not be a bad idea to ask your employer pool as well.

Aaron,
I couldn't agree more with you.With the large pool of candidates who are seeking employment, referrals historically provide a reliable recruiting source. Your advisory boards and governing boards are also good sources of potential candidates.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

In evaluating resumes, I select my top candidates and do a quick phone interview to get a brief history of employment from each. As I am doing the phone interviews, I select my top 3 for face to face interviews. I feel that this allows me to be a bit more selective when narrowing down to my final candidate.

@theno1prez :

In Education, we use a combination of structured and unstructures interview, so we can have a wide range of answers and insights from the candidate. We are mostly looking to hire strong candidates that are self-motivated, confident, and passionate about education. This course has allowed me to undertand more the intricacies of the hiring process and to be an effective listerner when interviewing. I am now in the process of bringing new talent that understand and embrace the importance of education and feel they can be part of a motivating team that understand the vision of the school.

@theno1prez

Our school primarily uses online recruitment.  I've found it is hit and miss.  Once I have identified candidates matching my criteria, we have a hard time getting them on the phone or to actually show up for an interview scheduled.  We usually have an overwhelming response to the on-line ad, but the results and experience therafter always leaves me feeling underwhelmed.  I've tried using social media such as linked in to access referrals from colleagues in the industry.  The most successful candidates have always come from referrals.  I now usually start the recruitment process with feelers out for referrals and if that is unsuccessful, I place the on-line ad.  Does anyone have other ideas?

Sign In to comment