Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lower level positions

Everything in this training so far has been very helpful for regular, full-time positions with benefits, etc. However, my entire staff is comprised of part-time, entry-level, barely above mimimum wage employees, so I feel like some of it doesn't quite fit for me. For instance, I'd never send an offer letter for an 11-hour-a-week $8/hour position. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on tweaking the interview and hiring process for employees who aren't making a career move as much as they're adding supplemental income or sometimes just a part-time job as they go through high school or college.

Amber,
The process would probably not be as formal because, as an employer, you are not making a long-term commitment. I would do more one-on-one interviews and rarely would I involve a whole team to interview for these kind of positions. I agree on the offer letter; that is more for the FT positions. These are usually employment at will positions so if you make a hiring mistake, you can generally part ways fairly easily. Still, these are positions which are providing important experience for these employees.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Regarding 'lower level employees,' I find myself in much the same situation as Amber was. However, what I am finding is that, as I find qualified empoloyees who wish to be with the company for the experience of staying connected, and passsion for the work, once I get them sufficiently and comfortably trained, and fully integrated as part of my team, another department within the company wishes to transfer them over, excepting those of my employees who strictly want only part time with no expansion due to outside work commitments. Part of me knows this to be an indicator of finding excellent employees, but anther part wonders if there is anything further I could do to keep potential long term staff within my department, as the automatic transfer of trained, qualified, and company motivated individuals makes it difficult to train beyond the basic functions of the entry level position.

Erin,
The situation that you describe can be very frustrating given that you have spent the time to onboard and train the employee. I like that you are looking at the positive side, though, and recognizing the value that you are adding to the company by your selection of
promotable employees. There is the potential for lessening the negative impact on your department, however, by creating an environment that employees want to stay in. For example, do you have a attractive career ladder which provides employees with new responsibilities at an increased level of pay? Another way to increase an employee's level of involvement is through selective delegation. This gives the employee new responsibilities which provides them with new skills in preparation for higher levels in the organization. Meeting with employees periodically to determine their level of satisfaction with their current position and performance can be used to identify new skills sets of mutual interest that you can partner with them to achieve. If an employee feels that they are always learning something new, are not stagnating on the job, and that you are working with them to help them improve on or add to their performance, you will have highly satisfied employees who want to stay in your department. Money sometimes helps, too!

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Sign In to comment