Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Would you hire someone right out of college over someone with experien

Pro and cons to this. Someone right out of college has drive. They are more coachable, eager to learn and will accept any pay for the job. Someone with experience might think 2nd about taking the job due to low pay with having more experience.

Lynne,
The hiring manager needs to determine the needs of the company. Does the company have time to allow the candidate/new employee time to work through their learning curve? Or is there a situation that requires a candidate/new employee to hit the ground running. Other factors need to be taken into consideration as well such as comparing the candidate's knowledge base and how current it is. Someone fresh out of college should have current information. Someone with more extensive experience may have dated knowledge. So you need to weigh all of the factors in making the final decision.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I definitely would take someone fresh out of college! I feel bad for recent graduates who can't get work becasue they lack "experience". To Lynn's point- someone right out of college would be willing to take a lot less pay to get their foot in the door, they have no bad habits- you can create the employee you desire, they have fresh ideas and are not mechanical/ stagnant like seasoned employees. Recent graduates have a lot to prove and are on the up and up on the industry. As the lesson stated- recruit talent- not experience.

Summer,
I, too, believe in giving a fresh college graduate an opportunity. A caution, however, is warranted here. You probably don't want an entire team of current grads. A mix of those with a certain level of experience along with those with little to none can result in a dynamic team. Sometimes, also, your accreditor will dictate qualifications; for example, requirements for faculty might be more stringent. It is also important to take into consideration how much time the hiring manager has to train new employees. The learning curve is going to be much steeper for a new college grad and will require more of the manager's time to bring that person up to speed.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I prefer competency based interviewing for specific positions. This involves defining the competencies needed for a position and structuring questions around the competency. Admissions demands advanced problem solving. My questions will sound like this...Tell me about a time you applied problem solving? This is followed by what do you learn about your self and how have you applied that learning since? This sequence is quite effective in interviewing for competencies. It can be used with a college graduate or someone with seasoned experience.
Thoughts?
MB

Mark,
You sound like a master at the hiring process. The kind of questioning technique you describe is what I refer to as "behavioral" interviewing but can also be called competency based. The point is that the questions require the candidate to draw upon their past experience in responding to the question. When hiring someone straight out of college, it is difficult if not impossible for them to draw on past experience because they probably haven't had any. On the other hand, they don't have bad habits to break. Therefore, there are pros and cons in both situations.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I agree with this statement. However, you would need to find all of this out through a complete interview. I think fresh college grands are moldable.

Elizabeth,
It is also important to think about the quality of the educational experience you are providing your students. As career colleges, we have always prided ourselves on the fact that we provide our students with faculty who can share "real world" experience because most of them are currently working full time in those fields for which we are preparing our students. That may be less important in Departments other than academics. I agree with you that recent college grads are moldable, having few bad habits that need to be broken.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I would like to add.. I agree with both sides of the argument. But a crucial piece that should be considered is this:

What do you want to company to look like 5, 10, 15 years down the road? As industries constantly change, so must the faculty/workforce to keep pace with a changing industry. So while I agree that having a mix of experience and new grads is the best way to go, also consider if you desire or see your company evolving and then consider how to hire to keep pace with that evolution.

David,
Good point, David. And, it is one that far too seldom is taken into consideration. It should be part of the long range planning process as employee needs are discussed.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I am completely agree in giving a college graduate an opportunity. They will have fresh ideas and will give 100% positive to learn and practice everything that they have learned on College. A good mix between experienced and graduates will guaranteed a good combination for any Company. However they will need more attention and evaluations in order for them to be successfully and reach the Company goals.

Yanely,
Hiring someone out of college would be good and economical; however, it depends on the position and level of responsibility. typically, "fresh-out-of-college people need a lot of initial acclimating and supervision. You should determine the cost-to-benefit ratio of hiring someone just out-of-college over someone with experience, especially someone with a proven track record.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

I believe that this depends on what type of position you are hiring for, and the time you have available for training. I work in the medical field, and have no hesitancy in hiring a new graduate for a clinical position, but would not do so if I was looking for an instructor (clinical or academic), or if I required a certain productivity level in the clinic as new graduates will have a learning curve that I may not have time for.

Betsy,
Your post exresses a very mature approach to your hiring decisions. Clearly, the determination of who to hire is determined by the requirements of the position and he associated risk level. The key to making the right decision in an objective manner.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Hi Yanely,
I agree with you in giving a new college graduate an opportunity, as well as giving a more mature candidate an opportunity. We need to determine the needs of the business and culture to determine the "best fit". Don't be afraid of the new college graduate, yet don't be afraid of hiring the more experienced candidate if the maturity level will offer more to the business.

Debra,
The primary criteria for hiring should always be fit. Is the person a good fit for the company, its culture, and for the position. The emphasis shouldn't be on the recency of education or experience alone, this will result in a disappointing hire in most cases. Remember the primary reason for hiring someone is can they do the job at the level expected, or above, for the compensation paid with minimal oversight or training.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment