Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Classroom Demonstrations

What is your opinion on Teacher/Instructor demonstrations as part of the overall hiring process? Do you provide a lesson and structure to the prospective candidate or let them provide their own plans? Do you find demonstrations effective?

Carolyn,
When hiring faculty, I believe that conducting a teaching demonstration is a critical part of the hiring process. You need to view a candidate's ability to "perform" in front of an audience because that is what they will be doing each and every day. If they cannot communicate clearly in this setting, they will not be able to do so in front of students either. I usually provide a topic and a text and let them decide how to deliver that lesson.
Dr. Patricia Kapper

Mock lectures are a great way to see how an instructor will bring a topic to life. Can they create the right environment? Make the lesson accessible for all learning types? Project their voice? Be exciting? An instructor can be fantastic in a first interview and be horrible at conveying information - The more employees involved in the mock lecture the better, everyone will see something different.

Kara,
You are so right. It is so important to take the time to have all faculty applicants do a teaching demo. Even when time is of the essense because classes are beginning soon, I would never pass on conducting a teaching demo.I appreciate your comment regarding involving multiple employees in assessing a candidate's ability to do an effective job.I have even had real students sit in on the demo and share their thoughts. Students appreciate being given the opportunity to be involved.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I learned my lesson on this one a number of years ago. I find it helpful to create expectations - let the candidate know what I will be looking for in the demo - things such as teaching to different learning styles, engaging students' interest, onverall knowledge and clarity of explanations. It also allows me to observe strengths and weaknesses and start mentoring before the first class is taught

Wendy,
Your approach is very fair to the candidate. So often, we ask them to come in to demo their teaching. We may or may not give the candidate a topic to prepare to teach. Usually, an audience is invited to view the demo and to provide feedback on the strengths and weaknesses. In an attempt to make it real, I have even put the candidate in front of a "real" class. Your idea to be very specific in terms of what you are looking for gives the candidate a fighting chance of demoing their true ability. Nicely done.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Most of my teaching has been with adult students. Adult teaching demands more facilitation and less lecturing. Hence, I believe strongly in a formal teacher demonstration as part of the interview. You will quickly learn who the "humble" candidates are who can best engage adult students. It is about the students, not the teacher. Thoughts?
MB

Mark,
I completely agree in the value of the teaching demo. To hire a new faculty member without having them demonstrate their skills as a teacher is a huge risk. I realize there are times when you are down to the wire because of a last minute vacancy and you may not have time for this process to play out but then the hiring manager better be in the classroom that first week to make certain that the students are not being short changed. I also agree that teaching adult education is different that teaching elementary school. We used to expect faculty to be "the guide on the side", facilitating the education process rather than the "sage on the stage", lecturing to the students.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Sign In to comment