Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Separation of Powers

I think that the most difficult thing to achieve with coaching is to build the trust necessary to do it effectively. Despite what everyone may say to the contrary, if you evaluate your direct reports in anyway, then they will see any coaching attempt as critical at best, at worst, as an effort to penalize them.

I have tried to make my direct reports see that coaching is never used in the evaluation process, but despite all I say or do, I still sense reticence on their part to fully participate in the coaching process.

I absolutely agree. I inherited a group that have been performing poorly for a long time and in many cases were not trained properly. My efforts to bring positive change have not gone well. I sincerely want to help them all achieve more, however they are coming from a place of defeat, and pretty unwilling to see things from a different perspective.

It really is a shame when a direct report is not properly trained and now the manager that has observed the challenges must undo the damage. This may become an instant opportunity for an unhappy direct report and negative outcome when not done properly. However, upon gaining the trust of that direct report and by providing strong active listening skills proper coaching may spin this situation around to a more productive and efficient direct report. I believe that building trust first is critical in a situation like this one. It may even be that coaching is needed on a continual basis in order to break down the old thinking process and rebuild it to the correct thinking process. Without trust, this may be most difficult to achieve. Also, have your employee appraise their work. That may bring light to the fact they are not performing to the fullest potential.

Sign In to comment