Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Communication

Regarding the second module... In the online environment communication is essential for the students to feel somehow connected to the instructor. Not only do we hold twice weekly live chat sessions, but I utilize email, a blog, and discussion boards.

Personal attention

I find that students who are disruptive, quiet, pushy, or just downright don't participate really need just a little personal attention. I usually send them a quick, terse email on what I think about their participation and what it means to the class. I then ask them to rejoin with a different attitude and end on a positive note about their work thus far. What other techniques have you used?

Facebook?

I have implemented a facebook page for each of our courses where the students can sign in and talk about the class, what they are doing in their free time, and they have back and forth conversations with myself and other classmates. Although I have to remind them that their comments will be screen before they are uploaded, often it creates a solidarity among the students. Are there any other social media sites that can mitigate this type of laid back conversation between students?

Chatting

In our forums we have a designated time and space for chatting about a topic that I post. This is done in a real time, I.M. style of chatting. Although I often see digressions, it helps us learn about one another and can make it really fun. Has anyone one else had this experience?

Blended Classes

I recently taught a blended class, by which I mean half of the class was online and the other half was in-class. I thought this was extremely helpful in student retention because I could check up on them face to face as well as online. I had a huge success rate with this class and I really feel I got to know my students better. Has anyone else taught a class like this with similar experiences, or was it not as successful as a pure online course?

Developing Meaningful feedback

When developing meaningful feedback, it is important to consider the course objectives. I also like to point out a strength of each student in order to increase self-confidence and participation. I also will explain where a student can improve and provide details on how to do that.

Three Things

When developing feedback for assignments or projects, it is important to tie the feedback to the course objectives. Commenting on specific areas in which a student did well or poorly can reinforce areas of learning. Vary assignments whenever possible to deal with different levels of learning and knowledge.

Three Things

When developing feedback for assignments or projects, it is important to tie the feedback to the course objectives. Commenting on specific areas in which a student did well or poorly can reinforce areas of learning. Vary assignments whenever possible to deal with different levels of learning and knowledge.

Ideas for Online Teaching

Hello again, As an instructor, will I be fully creating a course, filling in a frame or a shell, or is the course fully set up? In the last scenario, can I implement change, and if so, how? Creating a syllabus or as necessary amending a syllabus to present areas of study as well as expectations is an important foundation. Determining what needs to be done to prepare an online course is, of course, of primary concern. It was a little odd to see the concept of “scaffolding” used for education, although perhaps this is a commonly used term. Years… >>>

Three Considerations

Hello, Often because most people have written since kindergarten or before, they may assume they write well and in a professional manner. For one particular institution where I have worked, an editor was in place, and after curriculum was in place, either she or one of her assistant editors would copy edit it. In this case, the school overall used APA format. In other schools, I have sometimes seen a variety of errors in the wording for the directions and assignments in the online classes themselves. If a school or a department has chosen a particular academic style, I think… >>>

Projecting...

I Think the easiest way to make your presence known is constant communication. I try to respond to all emails within 24 hours so students feel like I am accessible. Teaching online is tricky in the sense that students will start to feel anxious if they feel like the instructor is in a virtual cloud.

Online Discussion

The hardest part about managing online instruction is engaging students in a dialogue that makes them return after they post their initial post. How do you get students to return after their required post has been posted? That is a questions I have about maintaining the fidelity of online discussions.

This is my first time

This will be my first time teaching and I am finding myself being a little intimidated at the thought of grading student’s assignments and providing quality feedback. Any suggestions on how I can overcome these fears?

Understanding your students

Learning your student behavior online can help with attrition

Discussion Forum

Discussion Forum is a useful tool to get students interact with guidelines.

Communication

I find responding to students questions early as possible has been very effective.

Online Instruction

Online instruction gives you an entirely new way of instruction.

Ice -Breakers (warmup prior to each class)

One tool which has been effective for me includes "breaking the ice" or what I refer to as "Aerobics for the Mind" prior to each class. It may involve posing a slide question such as" what message would you put into one million fortune cookies " ? It receives an engaging response and helps get everyone involved before official class business begins. It also brings some light humor into the lesson which in my mind is so needed in our world today . Roy R.

Rubrics

Hello Everyone, Rubrics are a great tool for the online setting as a means to show students how they will be evaluated within a given task. By presenting the rubric early on students are able to develop a plan of action in meeting the requirements. I have found this tool to be successful within all courses instructed. Students are also very receptive to this way of assessment as well. They are confident with the requirements and are able to view specific areas of need and strength.

Course Development

Hello Everyone, When developing a course it is first important to understand the ending objectives that should be attained from the students. When a person is able to understand the end expectations of a course development of the assignments and lectures can be developed in connections. It is also an important element to incorporate various learning strategies and techniques to support all students' learning. As a final element, the development of detailed assessments and alternative means of assessing students is also needed as a way to develop a successful course format.