Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Facebook?

I have implemented a facebook page for each of our courses where the students can sign in and talk about the class, what they are doing in their free time, and they have back and forth conversations with myself and other classmates. Although I have to remind them that their comments will be screen before they are uploaded, often it creates a solidarity among the students. Are there any other social media sites that can mitigate this type of laid back conversation between students?

I think MySpace is another good source even though it seems to be losing popularity. I know some people love to use the Yahoo message boards as well. There are definitely many types of forums to use.

Tommy Offill

Hi Zane, I have used Twitter in my courses to tweet messages to learners reminding them of important due dates or issues that I see many learners having during activities. Learners also use it to converse with other learners in the course. Tina

Zane, do you set up a "private" group in facebook? I would think that would be the only way to keep it out of the public forum. Also, do you use a separate "professional" facebook account versus your personal accout?

Wow! Great idea. Do you have any difficulty with censoring the content of their postings?

I think Facebook and Myspace are great tools and resources but students should also learn to practice time management skills. It is very easy to lose of track time with social media sites and not put enough effort into your homework. Also paying attention to proper grammar is important as text talking is improper English and be sure think about what you are about to post as you never know who is reading it.

What about the possible conflict of interest?

De Monte`

De Monte,
The possibility is there. I personally do not use external sites, but many seem to have success with them. For me, keeping the focus on class objectives is primary and I try to be sure to use social aspects of discussions to supplement the class when possible. Getting distracted by tangential conversations seems to occur more often (for me) when more platforms are added to the class discussions. It may just be that my online classroom management style needs tweaking.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

Wow! I think Facebook is a fantastic idea since younger generation virtually reside there. I'm really interested on more information of the success rate and challenges, Zane.

I know my students use Facebook groups amongst themselves but I'd hesitate to use it myself, esp. when there's an academic online platform already available to me.

I love the idea of external social media. I too use facebook and also the discussion board platform in Engrade.com. I think giving students the ability to use the tools that they are familure with is a great asset.

@zzimbelman

I like this idea. They can keep in touch during and after the course. I will consider using this as well.

@zzimbelman

Yes, what are the challenges and risks you have found with a FB page?

@zzimbelman

I really like the idea of Facebook. Do you mind if I use this in my courses? 

I think this a great idea!  Is there any issues with schools not allowing FB participation?  Do you have success with this and what are the pitfalls and/or negative aspects?@zzimbelman

@zzimbelman

As a CJ instructor and Captain of large police agency I have noticed that Facebook can at times be problematic especially for police officers. Police agencies are becoming very prohibitive about their officers involvement in facebook. Any comment made that is derogatory about the department, another officer, an elected official, etc. is all public domain. Lawyers will find a comment made 3 years prior and use it to discredit an officers testimony in court. Any pictures in the background, off hand comments, jokes, etc. will all be used to discredit officers. An officer in South Carolina was just fired because he was dumb enough to post a picture of himself on Facebook in shorts that had a rebel flag on them. I think it's a great tool so please don't misunderstand my comment but it's different for people involved in law enforcement that other professions.

Sign In to comment