Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Online Teaching Techniques

What technique are required to be a successful online instructor?

Student's and Instructor Bio

Providing an opportunity for students to place a small bio, an e-learning community could begin to be established. I also believe in providing a well organized instructor bio, this will allow the student to see that you are a normal persona and may even have a few things in common.

Online Teaching

Quality Online Course: Structural integrity Teaching online for a few years, having a well dedicated technical support tech is important. This could cause frustration for both the instructor and student.

Online Teaching

I believe that online teaching takes more organization with schedules and the instructors need to be more flexible with time in comparison to a brick -n- Mortar Instructor. I do feel that both types of instructors are equal in their duties and obligations to the students. Kimberly

Video Bio

Has anyone produced a video biography? Has anyone used YouTube? Would YouTube be a credible source to use? What other programs could be used?

Syllabus

Does the content match the syllabus? The most important aspect is to confirm that what we want to teach is relevant to a students' future. Combined with their ability to perform in the work force.

Meaningful Feedback

I teach a course HRM Procedures, after students complete an American Service practical. I specifically note one thing each student is excellent or extremely special at. It makes the student feel individualized and proud of a specific accomplishment.

Instructor Involvement

Asking the students what level of participation do they want. The learning objectives are for the students and too much interference from the instructor may prevent this.

Audio

Previous instructors would add sound to power point slides that were not relevant and distracting to students. But, in the wines course the lead instructor added a person pronouncing the wine to assist students and it was extremely relevant.

Blended Learning

Our organization has introduced a cutting edge method of teaching students the art of being an automotive technician. We have a blended learning that incorporates online web based training, instructor lead training, and hands on training. With the addition of web training it allows our students to have more "hands on" training due to the fact they can complete their online training the day before the lecture and have knowledge of the subject matter before the instructor even opens his mouth. This leads to more time in the lab with hands on experience.

Selecting Appropriate Course Content

Why can't course content created for a face-to-face course be appropriate for an online course?

Different Roles for Online Facilitators

Why do you feel it is important for an online facilitator to wear four "pairs of shoes"?

Different Roles for Online Facilitators

Why do you feel it is important for an online facilitator to wear four "pairs of shoes"?

Establishing a Teaching Pattern

When establishing a pattern of teaching, what do you believe are the two most important things to consider?

Establishing a Teaching Pattern

When establishing a pattern of teaching, what do you believe are the two most important things to consider?

Virtual Environment Technology Tools

When using technology tools in a virtual learning environment, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider?

Virtual Environment Technology Tools

When using technology tools in a virtual learning environment, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider?

Humor as a teaching strategy

I've found a little humor can put students at ease and provide a shared experience.

Attrition

I think this area is more challenging than in the classroom. When you have face to face contact, you can see a student struggle more quickly than on-line. Daily communications would be imperative to see early signs.

Participation

I think engaging a student in on-line is far more important than a traditional classroom due to the distraction factor someone may have working from home. A job, family, and or technical difficulties. If frustration levels rise, the participation will be effected