Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Lack of face-to-face interaction in online classes

Just curious about the interaction with students who you are never face-to-face with. I find this to be one of the best parts about teaching. How difficult is it to connect through technology?

Student Feedback

This is my first time teaching online and I have found that students are eager for feedback regarding their assignments. I try and grade papers within two to three days. If anytime after that, the student may contact me for feedback. Does anyone else have a different benchmark for assignment feedback? If so, is this working for you?

Technology

As I teach in Career Development, the students need both physical and mental organization to be successful in completing tasks. To be successful as an online student, the student needs to have the physcial organization of having the proper tools, such as computer with sufficient resources and software applications. If the computer does not have the updated operating systems or sufficient hard drive/memory to support this type of learning environmeny, he/she will quickly become frustrated. As important, the student needs to have the mental organization by having the correct skill set and experience in using a computer. I teach Intro… >>>

First time teaching an on line class!

This is my first time teaching on line, but this is a basic coding class and I have been a Certified coder for the past 14 years. Not only am I going over things I have not thought about in a long time but I can also share coding experience and tips to my students. I have a great passion for coding and so enjoy sharing my experience with new and old coders. There are so many rules and regulations in coding if you don't use it daily you forget the information. It seems everyday they are coming out with… >>>

Motivating the Older adult learner

With the way the economy is going, people that have 20 or more years of experience getting laid-off, I am finding more and more Adult Learners of advancing age (the 50+ crowd), entering into the technical training environment, either in the classroom or online. My Question is this, Some of these older students find technology extremely intimidating, How do we keep these students motivated when they have a strong fear of computers?

Presence

I Certainly agree with some aspects of this module but find myself disagreeing with others. First and foremost, it has been my experience that instructors can project a presence by continually and consistently maintaining communication with students. This includes personalized emails, group announcements, participation in discussion boards and responding to emails promptly. There was one quiz question which suggested that projecting video clips was an effective online instructional technique. I can see where this has certain merits, such as using multimedia, but I have never understood or believed how using videos can be superior to high-quality instruction directly from the… >>>

Response: Dana LaMantia

Hello All, This is a great question, will online learning replace the traditional classroom setting? I would say that the traditional setting will continue to have traditional students. Within a time where the economy is is hit hard the online setting is sometimes the only place where individuals can work and still attain their academic goals. I love the online setting and can not wait to view the growth.

Response: Dana LaMantia

Hello Everyone, Within the online setting it is so important to be active and further expand upon the discussion threads. I have found that through the interaction of the forum students are welcomed and eager to continue expanding upon their thoughts. When students are able to make connections to the material they are then able to implement this knowledge to make advancements within their educational pursuits. Kindly, Dana

Student Bio

I always use the student bio as their first assignment. They get to know a little about each other and I get to know them. I also share my own information for them. Sometimes I find students saying hello to other students that they have been in class with before. One other question that I add is asking them what they want to get out of the class. This helps me to focus on their needs also.

The final quiz

I have a question concerning the answer for #15 on the final quiz. Would I be able to discuss this with you? Thanks.

Variety in the Classroom

In my experience, combining a variety of methods within the classroom allows for all students to be accommodated. In an online setting, posting lecture notes as well as a video lecture provides multiple modals for students to access key content information regardless of their learning style. Asynchronous discussions allow all students to participate, while synchronous "office hours" enable students to ask questions directly to a person as if they were in a traditional classroom. Some colleges are incorporating online elements to the traditional classroom. For instance, students attend a traditional ground lecture but then participate in discussion forums over the… >>>

Helping At-Risk Students

As an instructor, I am genuinely concerned with helping my students succeed and attain their personal goals. However, there are often outside factors that distract students from online coursework. Although I offer assistance wherever I can, my ability to influence their everyday choices or to make school a priority is limited. What methods have you used in the past to overcome this issue?

Grading Comments to Students

Regarding the 2nd module on the sections of "Using Effective Communication," and the section "Scaffolding Student Learning" -- one of the areas I've had students continue to share appreciation for is giving meaningful feedback in grading comments for each assignment. I start the grading comments with a positive reflection to each student on her/his assignment for the weekly forum discussion and weekly paper, then follow up with suggestions for improvement. This helps promote the S2I and I2S communication and invites students to email me with problems or concerns and ways I can be of more help in their learning. It… >>>

Increasing Chat Attendance

I often find that students do not attend the chat sessions live. Through grading assignments I often see that the students who attended live have a higher score than those who do not attend. Where teach chat sessions are not required for students just recommended. I am wondering what are the best techniques to encourage students to attend the chat session live.

5 week sessions

In responding to a previous thread it occurred to me that does Attrition statistics factor in a 5 week session over an 11 week or quarter/semester based curriculum. This is an extremely accelerated pace, if students are working full time or have other responsibilities, wouldn't more time throughout the session be desired?

What can teachers really do in an online environment to empower students with disabilities?

Hello All I am not sure how students with disabilities (SWD) can be support in an online environment. Particularly when, for example they need extra time, the online environment already provides for a self-governed schedule. It is possible, however, for the fast pace of many online courses, to be a point of anxiety or challenge for SWD. How can an online teacher stay sane in accomplishing their duties will supporting SWD? Best, Michael J. Foster

Skype?

Has anyone used Skype in their classrooms? We probably all rely on the Breeze Connet but the ability to have real time face time with students is fascinating. Is it doable yet to have multi party conference chats and if so, how did it go? Pros? Cons?

Dealing with the Procrastinor

I have found often times students will wait until the last minute to communicate with me in regards last assignment submittals. WHat have you found is the best way to handle the situation? Do you always adhere to your late policy or evaluate on a case by case basis?

Encouraging Interaction with the Forum

Many students are intimidated by the thought of interating with their peers within a discussion forum. What are techniques used to encourage interaction and eliminate intimidation with the forum?

Effective Ways of Engagement

What methods have you found effective when engaging with your students?