Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ihave been an instructor for 6 years. I did'nt realize how important retention really is. i like the quote " seats in the seats"

Comment on Sasha Dymant's post: Very well spoken , You are exactly right.

Comment on Kurumbidza Chani's post: This is a true , I have experienced this in my 6 years of teaching.

Retention in loves everybody to pitch in from different angles.

One key takeaway from this lesson is that retention is a collaborative effort. Not one single department is responsible for retaining students - It is up to the entire organization to promote a culture that emphasizes student success. 

In addition to providing student services, it is necessary to establish a group prevention plan for student abandonment. 

To help me with student retention.

Retention is not the responsibility of one person or one department, it is a group effort. Building relationships with students and creating a great campus environment are important factors in relation to retention. 

In starting this module, it made me feel proud of the work we have done in our department to show students that we care, and to follow up with them. I am aware of the pressures felt by our faculty in this area. 

What I learned is everyone plays a part in student retention and setting the expectations for the students. We as a staff also have to set the expectation to playing a part in their success because we fail if one person doesn't do their part to help the students.

I have learned that it's not about making a fun environment for the students, but about making sure they have the necessary tools and resources for success.

I learned that students often choose to leave school when they feel unheard, unsupported, overcharged, and undersupported. A big part of retention is paying attention to student needs and making sure they are getting met. 

Retention is a critical part of the career school model.  Everyone should play a roll in keeping students engaged so they do not drop out.  The first thing a school should do to help keep attrition at the acceptable level is to ensure the instructors are trained to identify potential issues with students that may cause them to leave.

Retention  is the by-product of doing the right things the right way, of having the right people in the right place at the right time.

I learned that retention is the responsibility of everyone on campus, and that each department may have a different definition of retention. I appreciated the line "Retention is the by-product of doing right things the right way, of having the right people in the right place at the right time.

This was a great module. I learned that faculty takes the brunt of the retention issues and that sometimes they are not equipped to handle those issues and teach. It takes all of the staff and faculty to work together to retain students. Campus leadership should put in place guidelines for all staff and faculty on how to handle student withdrawals. I also learned the causes of attrition. I now can spot the signs when a student is thinking about withdrawing. 

Retention is team effort. It does not rely on just the faculty. Everyone should be made aware of retention and being there for the students. Keeping in touch with those students as well and letting them know the school is here.

I have learned that everyone is responsible for retention. We all have a stake in keeping students engaged.

Hello Everyone!  My takeaway from this segment was that there are a number of factors affecting retention rates.  Faculty and staff alike may be involved in assisting with student concerns in an effort to manage or decrease retention outcomes.  While retention outcomes are a concern for an institution and must be reviewed for a resolve best, at times the challenges students face or decisions they make are not within our control.  

I have learned the importance to Retention and Atrition. It is important to assess the impact of retention, as well as to know its importance. All school associates are responsible for the Retention. There are methods for measuring and monitoring retention rates. There are facts and myths about retention practices. It is very important to align the institution's retention efforts to the expectations of the students. 
We must implement techniques to detect at-risk students and try to retain them. I loved the idea that retention must be considered a result of doing the right things in the right way, with the right people in the right places at the right times. Finally, attrition must not be considered as natural, instead, we must be able to recognize when we can avoid it. By doing track class performance and attendance, we can find reliable indicators of possible attrition difficulties  detecting negative changes in these areas.

Comment on Ronald Neil's post: I agree. It is the result of a team work

Sign In to comment