Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comment on Dr. Jamie McKinney's post: Perhaps due to their immaturity, in the most of cases, students don´t talk about their problems and when they do it when it is not possible to solve it. For this reason, professors, who are near of the students, and can have contact with them, must be able to encourage them to express their difficulties and help them to find a solution.

Providing attentive customer service is the responsibility of the entire school. Listening and paying attention to student's needs is the key to positive retention.

This presentation reinforces how all areas of the college are important to student success. The student, the admissions department, the faculty, the financial aid, and the student services department are all pieces of the puzzle. Carolyn S. Queen

Students are our most valuable asset.  I agree with Ester, we need to understand the student population. 

I learned that the Student Services Director is help to the student on give them the information they need to take the best choice and encourage them to continue with their education, also the obligation of the student services area is inform about the terms and be aware the budget they need to do it before enrolling. 

Retention is every staff member's responsibility. I like the idea of having admissions representatives track first-term attendance. 

College retention involves strategies to help students persist and succeed in their academic journey. Key basics include academic support services, mentorship programs, engaging coursework, a supportive campus environment, and proactive interventions for students facing challenges. 

I learned that student issues are known way before the matter is brought up. By keeping in constant contact, issues can be brought forth earlier.

I have learned that retention is a campus effort, and everyone needs to be involved in that process. One of the key components of keeping students retained is to ensure that they have positive relationships with faculty and other staff on campus. 

One of the things I learned is to have greater awareness of the effects and impact of dropping out of school and how necessary it is to act from the beginning, such as identifying risks, but also in raising awareness of the institution. Likewise, the fundamental role that all university officials have. I want to put into practice improving our risk identification system and work with my team to see strategies and attitudes, including being more proactive.

I have learned that retention can be improved by not only putting focus on those attending events but reaching out to those who are not, this may help avoid drops due to loneliness/isolation. Also, my new favorite saying, "Don't think of retention as a goal. Think of retention as the by-product of doing the right things the right way, of having the right people int he right place at the right time." Often retention is a budget goal line rather than a way for a campus to improve both internally and consumer based. 

Learning what strategies to implement to reach and accomodate students is very important. 

This was a great intro! I was fascinated to learn that there isn't a universal definition of retention. And also, that means of measuring retention needs to be tailored by each institution. This empowers me to work with my campus leadership to develop a plan that works for our program and campus. 

I believe that that student services is an opportunity to guide students through what sometimes looks like muddy waters to the finish line. To be able to guide students through their education journey, relationships have to be built and resources need to be given for a chance of an successful outcome. 

Retention is the responsibility of everyone on campus, and student satisfaction is significantly a reflection of students' experience interacting with the institution. I also found the facts and myths to be quite informative and relatable. 

Retention is everyone's responsibility.

I have learned that there are two types of attrition. I honestly did not know that academic boredom was a unnecessary attrition or even a attrition at all. I also found the "creating a carnival atmosphere does not improve student commitment to the school" to be a key item to remember. The environment is one thing but to have staff be part of that environment and be in sync really allows the students to see what the school is all about. 

I Also really liked the part about what improved retention looks like  for the entirety of the school. 

Sign In to comment