Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that retention must be a focus of school culture that way responsibility is distributed among all people and departments. Tracking students by cohorts or programs and creating a culture of support will help increase unnecesary attrition. Attrition is, "a by-product of doing the right thing the right way". So, a University can't look at retention as a number, but as a process and campus culture that supports students so that retention is a by-product of University actions.

I"ve learned that retention is not the responsibility of one employee or department but rather it is the responsibility of everyone. 

I am the Director of General Education.  On a weekly basis, I contact the students who have had a bad week of grades. My instructors do as well.  We are always asking what we can do to help.  We have been more flexible because of covid, but as online classes, we try to work on the skills they need to succeed.

Retention is everyone's job.  Rather than putting all focus on new students, find out why current students are withdrawing from the institution.

Retention and Attrition are a group effort.  There are multiple factors that impact the rate of retention and some of which are out of the control of the teacher or the facility.

Retention is just not one departments responsibility its all staff, faculty and adminsitration

Retention has often been overlooked.  Being able to retain students is vital tyo the success of any program.

Retention of students doesn't have to be accepted as a "natural process"?

Retention is effort that has to be made by every one on campus. It must be made my all faculty and staff to help students continue their education.

Retention is everyone's responsibility.

Retention is the responsibility of everyone and must be a part of the culture

I've learned keeping in touch with students especially the high risk students by weekly check ins. Also putting myself out there on campus and engaging with students while passing constantly reminding them I'm here to help.

I have learned to not think of retention as a goal but to make every interaction count and by doing the right things the right way every day and having the right people in the right place at the right time is where the focus should be while providing high-level customer service to everyone. 

Although often retention efforts are "housed" in one particular place, retention is the the job of all.  Of course this means it is quick to fall through the cracks.  Creating a culture is different than assigning tasks to be fulfilled.  Too often lists are created to "check off" without listening to the needs that are present.

Retention is the by-product of doing the right things the right way, of having the right people in the right place at the right time.

Everyone in the organization need to put the Grain of sand.

Retention really is a campus effort. It's best to understand the student, the orientation, the expectations, and goals. Being proactive can help

Just like safety, retention is everyone's responsibility. Getting students is easy, keeping them is the hard part. Unless everyone at all levels in the school do their part, the school will probably fail, and we can't blame admissions for that. 

I appreciate the definition: "Retention is the by-product of doing the right things the right way, of having the right people in the right place at the right time". 

I think every encounter with each student truly does impact retention. 

Sign In to comment