Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think we just need to make help very available and visible. I am in an online environment so it's even more difficult. We need to "advertise" it. We do a student newsletter and we often run a feature on a past student. These are inspiring to most and often these students share their struggles and mention how the school provided support.

This one is a bit tricky. In some cases we really can't involve family. I have even had cases where the spouse did not even know their partner was in school. (Again, I am online.) We can provide resources if the student gets into a bad situation but only on a referral basis.

One key traits I see with successful students is their willingness to try something different and be open to new ideas. They are open to suggestion and many times will act or attempt to improve. Less successful students make excuses as to why they cannot try something new and they are not open to suggestion. Possibly it is the fear of the unknown. There is comfort in the same thing even if it dosen't work as opposed to being daring and trying something in which you do not know the outcome.

Thanks, Rick. The students who come to us willing to try new things and open to new ideas are usually pretty successful. What are some things you do to help the students who do not come to us with those attitudes to develop those attitudes?

Many of my most successful students have had a positive attitude. They aren't always sure they can do it but they know they're going to give it a good try. When they have a bad test grade, a bad week or personal problems that get in the way, they pull themselves back up and dive in again; persistance and dedication. Once they get through a few hurdles and gain confidence, then they know they can do it even if they may have setbacks occasionally.

Many times it seems as if this is the "normal" lives of our students. I agree, it can seem like an outpatient counseling center. That's one of the great things about SRS. It takes the responsibility of counseling the student off the instructor and staff and gives the student an outlet. For those of you who aren't aware, this is a free service provided by our school to each student. The student can call a toll free number and talk with licensed ptofessionals who can direct them to sources that meets their needs.

Paying attention and being serious those are probably the best qualities I see in a successful student. Paying attention is big on my list due to the complexity of my course subject matter (basic electrical). A student who misses one aspect of electricity will lose out on the rest because it builds on each other. A serious student will look at the whole picture. I am not talking about a student who is militant about school but one who can find a balance between fun and academics. The normal things like organization and good study habits are also key. I am also one of those who does not think that ADD is a viable exscuse for some of our students concentration issues. I do believe that it is up to the instructor to encourage good habits and to make learning a "fun" experience.

Thanks, Jacki.

What can we do to bring other students up to the same levels of persistance and dedication?

I don't think we as instructors can. I think it's ultimately up to the individual but we can offer structure, guidance, mentorship and support on their journey. If they choose to utilize these concepts then they can flourish.

Good point. We cannot force these attitudes upon students. We have to create an environment in which they see us model the behaviors and attitudes we are looking for and that leads them to motivating themselves.

Some of the habits I notice with our most successful students are that they show up early before class to get in extra time. Stay late after class to help other students. They always seem to have a positive attitude and even when something doesn't go their way they are not discouraged and continue on their path.

Thank you, Bree.

These are indeed common habits found in successful students. What are some specific things you do to try to influence your other students to adopt similar HABEs?

I find that the most successful students have a definate goal. They are there to increase their knowledge, graduate, and secure stable employment. They are the ones who usually have dependents.

Thanks, Judith.

What do you do to inspire the students who do not come to us with clearly defined goals?

organized, positive, it can be done and it must be done.

Thanks, Deanne. What are some of the strategies you use to help develop these HABEs in the students who do not already have them when they come to you?

I agree that successful students have the best habits from the beginning- and it is helpful to have a focus to help students realize this early and continuously through their efforts.

Thanks, Ellen. What are some things we can do to help the students who do not naturally have these good habits to develop them quickly?

Most students have feelings,thoughts, and dreams when they come to class.
Some are real, and some are not.
From the very first contact with the student, to the first day of school, the staff needs to have a positive response, but at the same time be real in the things you are telling the student.
If you are not positive the student will not be, but if you give the student a false sense of what will needs to be done, trust will be broken, and it will be hard to earn it back.

The students that truly have a vision of change in their mind and know they want more. The students that have positive attitudes and goals of a brighter and they don't let any negative enter into their day to day activities.

Sign In to comment