Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

At our campus we have a "Student Appreciation Day" for each of the day and evening students. It is scheduled at the beginning of class or lunch time. This setting allows all the students/faculty/administration to mingle with each other. We play fun games and make it very interactive. We encourage the upcoming graduating students to speak and share about their own personal experiences to the "newbies". Especially how they overcame obstacles while in the program and many of them extend their support thereafter.

Lauri,

Another excellent example of how to pay attention to students and to get them to learn from the examples of others.

Jeffrey Schillinger

they are encouraged to continue a higher education from influences in there personal lives and mentors they choose to look up to at a young age or prier to attending college .

yes I found that those student with a positive attitude, also come from a positive back ground, even when they had the problems like every one else.

Victor,

What are one or two specific things you do to help form a positive attitude in your students?

Jeffrey Schillinger

The successful students have a conscious or unconscious expectation and/or ability to allow themselves to learn from challenges and mistakes. Usually a sense of humor and persistence are a huge factor in the ability to do this. When bumping up to a challenge, it can be a learning experience or a derailing event depending on how you respond. An individual's HABE's determine how they respond.

They have a passion for not only what they are going to school for but how as a whole its going to change their futures. Setting up a standard for themselves gave them a chance to better ask for advice from their instructor to get to there goals after they graduated. When you try to help students that don't have this same drive, you notice that after graduating they sometimes lose sight of why they went to school and suffer through bad decision making when it comes to what direction to take.

Adrian,

Does your school do anything proactive with unplaced graduates who seem to have lost sight of their goals?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Attitude and desire are the common ingredient. Once without get recommendations to read Zig Ziggler, W clement Stone and such

Zbigniew,

What are some specific things you do in your classes to help students develop HABEs like attitude and desire if they do not already have them when they get to your classroom?

Jeffrey Schillinger

What separates them from students that are not as successful has to do with self-motivation and drive, believing in themselves/self-confidence, setting goals they want to achieve and not afraid of working hard. Too many students want everything given to them. They want an 'A' without working for it.

Cathleen,

Thanks for this post. What are some specific things you do to try to move students who don't have these HABEs toward valuing and developing them?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Student's with good HABE's tend to have regular attendance and thrive with constant constructive feedback. What I enjoy seeing the most is when they use those skills with their peers.

I agree that we need more courses like this one. It really does put things into perspective. I have started to use some of the techniques that discussed in the course and have seen positive feedback.

Tammy,

The concepts outlined in this course have been around a long time and are still as valid today as they were 25 years ago. Delivering a quality product with care for the students works.

Jeffrey Schillinger

each student is raised differently and learns things differently. I think that if you have a positive attitude this will help them be successful. If there is something negative or conflicting with what they believe that can sometimes not help them be successful in them reaching their goals.

Successful students have a strong sense of self-efficacy.They form good work habits, and keep a positive attitude.
They are able to see themselves succeeding and they realize their own future is in their hands.
Parents play a huge role in modeling self-efficacy. If you believe it can come true, it is more likely to come true.
Students who are less successful, have limitations in their confidence, they seem to have a self fulfilling prophecy of failure.

You can definately seperate the more successful students with the not as successful students. The successful students have fantastic study habits, have a positive attitude, believe in themselves, and have high expectaions for themselves and the school itself. These student's make sure to come to make up hours, even when they do not need the hours. They come to the extra hours just so that they are able to get in some extra studying. I also notice that these students get together and have their own study sessions during their lunch break. They have a positive mindset and believe that they will succeed, not only in school, but in the career they are pursuing as well. They encourage the students around them. They have a vision for themselves and refuse to let anything or anyone get in between their vision.

Cristela,

What are some things that you and your peers do to tr Ryan to build these traits in students who do not yet have them?

Jeffrey Schillinger

During orientation, I ask new students who has challenges such as transportation, daycare, financial, etc. Some will raise their hands and I get a few examples. We then go through an exercise to help them identify barriers that may face during their program and for them to develop a plan to overcome the barrier when it happens. We actually have the students write this up on a card that we mail to them later.
When I introduce this exercise, I tell students that I see them when they are on the Dean's List or when they are struggling academically. I let them know that the main difference between these outcomes is how the student responds. I work hard to encourage students to believe that they can determine their own outcomes based on their habits and behaviors.

Sign In to comment