Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Thanks, Karen.

What are some things you do to help students who do not come to you with these HABEs to develop them?

Some of the HABE's that I see in successful students are turnng in assignments on time, and participating in disscussion forum.

Those students who attend dicussions seem to get a better understanding of the topics that are discussed.

Also, those that turn in assignments on time does not lose any points to lateness.

It is obvious that those who do the two HABE's hat are listed above with do well because they increase there chance og earning more possible points.

Mark,

Great point! People are usually very successful when they have someone in there cornor to cheer them on.For example, rewarding students for good permance indeed motivates them to continue such performance.

Thank you, Tenisha.

Those are great HABEs for students to have.

What are some specific things you do to help develop these two HABEs in the students who do not already have them when they get to your class?

Successful students start thinking of “going to school” as a job, and getting the assignments and projects done on time as part of that. I graduate school, particularly when I was doing my dissertation, I found a place where I could study every day, keep my books and materials and consider my “office.” Sometimes students must have portable offices they carry to the library or one in a dorm room, but I think that it is important for students to develop a regimen to study and do their assignments.

Successful students have positive attitudes about being able to succeed. Everyone in the “system” from advisor to instructor reinforces that. When they have an event in their lives that seems insurmountable in so far as keeping up with their studies, that support is even stronger in offering assistance in the form of additional time to complete assignments or maybe restarting the class a s better time.

Successful students are attentive in class, hungry for information and look at the instructor as a resource there to provide them with the information and guidance to move forward in class. They are on time to class, inquisitive and not afraid to ask for additional help form the instructor or other students if they encounter a log jam.

Successful students envision success – in their current academic endeavors, new opportunities as the result of their academic endeavors, and plan perhaps for further education or training to take them to another level.

Thank you, George. This is an excellent post.

What are some specific things you do to inpire some of your students who do not have these HABEs to develop them?

Most of the students who succeed seem to have an end goal and an internal game plan to acheive that goal. The game plan may not be formal but they have a strong vision of where they are going and what they are going to be doing in the future. Conversely, most failing students seem to be adrift and flowing on the tide of life. They have no specific goals and are not driven toward accomplishment.

Thanks, LE.

The self-motivated students you describe are a joy to work with. What are some specific things you do in order to help cultivate some of the HABEs you described in the students who do not seem to display them yet?

I try to interact with the students, ask about their work and encourage them to stretch a little on some assignments. The personal interaction and the focus on a job (Class) goal are usually enough to get the person focused on success. Some, simply do not engage. But most enjoy the attention and go to extra lengths to meet my expectations. In the process they acheive wonderful things!

As I see students come and go through our vocational school, there are certain characteristics that seem to prevail in the successful ones. Successful students usually have excellent attendance, no matter if they get up early,take two busses and have 4 children. They also are very determined to do better than they have been doing in many cases. They work with their Instructors and Peers. They are pleasant and accomodating no matter what hits them--at times I am amazed at what happens to them. They expect that the school and its representatives(all Staff) will do what they have said they will do but also realize that no one is perfect---so they are not demanding either.
Students who are not successful seem to use the "Same Old Ways" and find it very hard to adapt to the new even,tho it is necessary for their success. They can be negative easily,and do let life get in the way (bring their problems to school for us to solve). If they have beliefs, these are not positive either--Example: not succeeding or failing. They might come in saying" I know I will fail the test today" and when questioned, they probably didn't study as they should or at all. Their expectations are that you will just "give it to them" after all they "paid" for it. They can be a challenge and in the vocational setting, we do get some of them changed which is an accomplishment and a joy!!

Thanks, LE.

Thanks for this thoughtful post, Anne.

We can get greater joy when someone graduates who made us work the hardest to get them through.

Without a doubt passion and vision play a huge part in the success of our best students. I see our job as educators to help all of our students develop a vision. That way their own passion can be fostered and grow

Thank, John.

What are some of the specific things you do to help your students develop a vision?

My successful students have a can do attitude and keep up with their weekly work as it is due.

They have bright and positive expectations of their future success that they will gain with their degree.

They study diligently for their exams and it shows.

Ginger Little

Habits are by far a strong indicator of success - I've found that thouse students that make it a habit to always do their work and always particpate, etc. do much better than those that don't have that established habit.

How correct you are! Studying is a habit and getting a routine set up.

The HABES of my most successful students are such things as being on time for class, turning in assignments on time, and truly believing that can succeed. Being positive and pro-active seperates them from students who were not successful.

their ability to keep on learning about new things everyday

My most successful students do not make excuses. While they may lack time management or study skills upon entering the term, they are not afraid to seek out help when necessary. Those that are unsuccessful, are unable to recognize the obstacles that might be easily overcome. When adults are accustomed to a lifestyle that revolves mainly around themselves or their children, it's hard for them to prioritize and to eliminate bad habits from their routine. Sometimes it takes sitting down with the student and outlining their daily life to help them to recognize what steals their time. Often times it is something as simple as making out a schedule that helps a student to be more successful.

Students that are successful also have good support systems. Even if they are first generation college students, their families and friends encourage and help when possible. They babysit, give rides to campus or just say good job. This support fosters a positive attitude toward education in general.

Sign In to comment