Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tyler,

Thank you for this post. What are some ways you help students who do not already possess these HABEs to develop them?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I think having other students either from the same class or in previous courses mentor the student. Also, instructors play an influential role in sharing their knowledge, experiences and tips to help shape HABEs.

There are many way to help students develop HABEs. One,you must model good HABES. Students will be able to learn good HABEs from you the educator. Two, you must mentor. Educators must seek out your students who have not developed good HABEs, and teach them and encourage them to learn good HABEs. Three you must monitor your students. You can seek out situations with your students to use as learning opportunities. When you see a student who is struggling with bad habits attitude or any negative HABE, it is a chance to show them a different way that will prove to be beneficial for them as students and as a professional.

The successful students have the attitude of WANTING to be in school, vs still feeling like they HAVE TO be there. They have the expectations of learning something valuable to further themselves.

Habits: organized, pay attn to details, write down assignment info and dates, take notes

Attitudes and Beliefs: confidence - know they can succeed, determined, willing to laugh at mistakes and move on, desire to learn, desire to be an excellent clinician - not satisfied with being just "ok"

Expectations: WILL learn necessary info, will succeed, will be good at their chosen profession, will be challanged and will rise to the challenge

I have found that the most successful students REALLY WANT IT. They also have a good support system in place. They do not take no for an answer and if they did not get right the first time, they do not give up - they keep going until they get it right!
They also share in knowlege and praise to their fellow students.
They seek out instructors for mentors and when fellow students see this,some indeed follow suit.

Thank you for this post, Karen. What are some ways that you use to inspire some of your students who do not have these HABEs when they get to your class?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Some of the HABE's where students are succesful is beliefs in themselves, wanting to make a change in their life and their habit by showing up to class on time, participating and asking questions if they are unsure. They have set high expecations of themsevles and will reach out for help if need be. This exact opposite is true from students who are not successful, those that are late or miss class, do not communicate with the instrutor, do not believe in themselves and have very low expectations.

I have found as an instructor having those high expectations from the start, while some studnets struggle, by the end of the term, I've seen how those that were "on the fence" so to speak become more positive.

I see the successful students having a vision of completion - they are flexible in their HABEs - In short they have a strong desire and are willing to admit that they have items in their lives that need to be adjudted to succeed.

Tammie,

What are some things you do to help other students develop similar HABEs?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Most of my successful students come in with a positive attitude of wanting a better career or even a lifestyle change. Some come with family support, others find the positive encouragement within themselves or from peers/instructors. I always provide positive encouragement for all my students.

Carol,

How do you help those students who may not have a positive attitude to develop a positive attitude?

Jeffrey Schillinger

The students I see being most sucessful are those that appear to have a vision of their future and and are in the habit of figuring out what thy have to do to obtain that goal in respect to study habits, etc.

James,

What are some specific things you do to inspire student who do not come to your class already having these HABEs?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I have many students that are goal oriented and high achievers,very well determined to succeed in life. I think their habits.attitudes,beliefs or ecpectation in life separates them from the students that are not successful.

I work with the students to try to help them understand the importance of proper habits, attitudes, beliefs, and expectations to be successful in their careers. And how these are especially important in being employable.

Grace, postitive attitude, and willingness to learn make the most successful students, at least in a clinical environment.

James,

What are some things you do to help nurtyure these habits in students who do not have them when they first get to your class?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I feel like praise can be a good thing at times. At our campus to help out with HABEs we like to have Spirit weeks where students can dress out of uniform we also end the week with class potlucks this way if gives the under classmen a good chance to hangout with the upper classman and talk. I think this help students stay postive and allows them you have fun.

I have had many students that come with many goals and plans for their future and they look toward these goals by taking them one goal at a time. They may have many goals but they are looking toward the future. Students that come to school for the wrong reasons, parents are sending them to school and paying their way, usually don't have a commitment to their success. I agree that instructors need to help students find their goals and help them see the light outside of the tunnel so to speak. Giving them lots of positive feedback, smiles and cheers along the way are so important to these students in order for them to be successful.

Sign In to comment