Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In order for student to succeed in the future and i think they have to follow this HABE's.

Which HABEs are you referencing?

I see some students aware of their time. They seem to understand that planning for their future means planning out their day. They seem more attentive and ask more appropriate questions.

Thank you, Vincent.

Time management is an important skill that not many faculty members help students develop. Often I see students wanting to take an online course becasue they feel it will be easier. During advising, I ask them to tell me when they are going to set aside the six to eight hours each week they will need to be successful in the course. Sometimes I find out that they really had no idea what they were signing up for.

The most successful students have habits of working effeciently and completing work on time. They are focused, listen to assignments and follow instructions. If they don't understand, they are not afraid to ask. They believe they will be successful.

Thanks, Renee.

These are indeed habits that can lead to success in school. Unfortunately, many students do not have these habits developed when they come to us.

What are some of the things you do to help students grow and develop the HABEs that will makew them successful?

Good study habits, good attitude, a belief in sucess, and expectations, that failer is not an opption. Will take a person to their desired dreams.
Shane Johnson

Thanks for this post, Shane.

What do you do to help students develop these HABES?

Habits, make sure students are using their class room time wisely. Attitudes, I tell my students, my grandmothers saying, when the student uses the word can't, Can't could never do anything! You can and you will! Beliefs, when you the instructor show confidence & true belief in the student, when the student reaches and achieves sucess on an assignment or project, they start to have self belief, and exude with new found confidence. Expectations, is challenging the students, and taking them to great heights.
Shane Johnson

Thank you, Shane.

I think it's really the habits, attitudes and expaectations that really hurt my students.

Marcus.

What do you do th try to change those HABES?

These students want to learn, try hard, and continue educating themselves. The seperation starts when other students don't want to learn or go the extra mile in learning like doing homework the night before or engaging themselves.

Isaac,

The self-motivated students make our jobs much easier. The challenge is with the students who do not seem to have that same level of motivation.

What are some things you do to reach out to those students to help inspire them to become self-motivated?

I see many of the unsuccesful students lack in maturaty and have to figure out that it requies personal effort and that an education can't be bought. Information can be offered but the student has to work to retain and apply the knowlage they have been offerd.

Thank you, Karl.

What are some of the specific things you do to help students develop the attitudes they need to be successful?

I have seen some students drop out of school because they feel they can not take test well. It is so imbedded in their heads that no amount of counseling has helped. I then feel very discouraged for them. What else can I do to help them?

Catharine,

Test anxiety is not uncommon. Students with severe cases may need to be referred to a mental health professional. Your campus should work to idenify local professionals who can help these students.

Most of the time, practicing taking tests is an effective way to address this situation. It may help if you develop practice tests so that students can get a feel for how they will be evaluated. If it is a content mastery issue, students may benefit from well-designed study guides and extra review sessions.

These are many sites on the net that you can look at for study tips you can provide to your students.

Their is a clear attitude of persistance and self-efficacy in their own self awareness.

Kevin,

What are some of the specific things that students do to demonstrate persistence and self-efficacy?

Sign In to comment