Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Some of the HABE's I see in successful students in the ability to multi-task and manage a number of items at the same time including school, work, family, friends and finances. They also expect to succeed and do well in all their classes.

I deal with quite a few career changers who have worked and are looking to go in a new direction. I have noticed that these students generally are more focused on the end goal. They have a clear picture as to what they want to get out of their education experience and how it will help them acheive their goals.

determination and loyalty and a bit of vision can be found in the students who are successful.
Students who fail loose interest quickly and dont have the will to "go On"

I too notice students who have stressful home lives such as boyfriends who dump them, cars that do not work, can not afford gas for their cars. It is at times like a counseling center.

Christopher,

What are some of the observable behaviors of the students with well-developed HABEs?

Expectations: They expect to do well, to get an "A"
Beliefs: They believe they have the aptitude, stamina, and drive to do whatever is necessary to succeed
Attitude: Their attitude is one of optimism and determination
Habits: They show up for class, on time and prepared. Complete all assignments on time. Ask questions.
I presented this backwards because I conduct the HABES Exercise everytime I start a new class. I went through the Pacific Instutute training We were taught to start with the students' expectations, then work up through the other elements.

The inner belief that they can succeed. They have a better support sytsem.

Thank you, William. I believe sharing the concepts TPI teaches can go a long way in helping students achieve their goals. It is nice to hear that you bring those concepts to your classroom.

Students who come to us for help in areas outside of school are demonstrating that a bond has been built and that they trust us. We need to be sure to have ready access to outside resources of which students may avail themselves in times of need. We can give advise, but sometimes they need professional assistance.

At the beginning of every new class our campus has a policy that all instructors must complete the HABEs activity. In my classroon the students that expect a class to be hard, believe that it will not be fun to learn, have a negative attitude, and poor study habits tend to struggle or not make it through the class. The students who expect to get a good grade, beleive that the class will be fun, have a positive attitude, and great study habits do exceptionally well. It is our job to change the negative attitudes and help the students with low expectations find ways to believe that they can acheive anything they put their mind to.

Thanks, Deidra!

Habits usually refer to behaviors. What are some of the specific behaviors you see in your successful students?

Thanks you for this post, Sarah. Helping students to identify the HABEs needed to be successful is well worth the time in class.

The succesful students that I've observed are those that are able to establish new habits, be flexible by making adjustments to normal everyday schedules, ask questions about upcoming assignments (looking ahead)for clarification purposes and they set suspense dates for themselves.

I would also add that I have encountered many students that would be described as being the "first" in the family to attend college, married with children, and working. I encounter the HABES every new term with at least two students that have a lot of self-confidence issues. I always am realistic and encourage them to establish a "study time" at home and solicit family to support them. I tell them they must be persistent,consistent and also be realistic with the family members. Successful students have adopted and taken this advice too.

Hello Jeffrey,

My most successful students are very active in the class they attend all the live chats and turn in more than what is required.

Hello Natalie

The economic state has brought many students to on-line education. This allows them to work and gain education for a higher paying position. There are also many programs that offer funding for higher education for adults.

Thanks. A key to online success is getting the students involved with other students and their teacher as regularly as possible.

As I’ve previously stated I work both as a full time academic advisor and an adjunct professor. The student I see who are successful are the one who recognize that education is an essential part of achieving their dream and make their education an absolute priority in their life. They have habits of personal responsibility, they share the “can do” attitude, they believe in their potential (even if they are currently short on ability), and they expect school to be challenging but ultimately rewarding.

Recently I have encounter two students in my online classes who have demonstrated what it takes to be a successful student. Both students were late middle aged, non-traditional students. In both instances the students were the first in their families to attend college. One of these students had terminal throat cancer and the other student had her husband of 20 years pass away during the semester. In both instances I, as their instructor, was more than willing to be lenient with time constraints to help them through their traumatically difficult situations, and in both cases, the students would not take advantage of this. Both students had the desire to be successful without depending on the charity or pity of others.

These two students possessed all of the aforementioned HABE’s and were steadfastly determined to succeed. Conversely, I see daily examples of students who do not succeed. The students that do not succeed possess habits which range from poor study habits to lethargy. Of the students I encounter that do not succeed, the vast majority possesses the attitude/beliefs that they are entitled to an education. They feel that their monetary investment, out of pocket or via their Financial Aid awards, entitles them to an “A” regardless of their contribution to the class. The unsuccessful ones expect their education to either be easy.

Well said. I can absolutely affim your comments.

The students who are sucessful in our school are the ones who are asking the questions, believing in themselves, and are always on time.

Sign In to comment